Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Reflections on first 10,000 miles of Trophy Ownership  (Read 7096 times)

• Offline Saddle Tramp   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1480
    • Topic Author

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Here Today, Gone Tomorrow
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE - SOLD
    • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
    Reflections on first 10,000 miles of Trophy Ownership
    on: Aug 12, 2019, 01.41 pm
    Aug 12, 2019, 01.41 pm
    So, I have now accumulated the first 10,000 miles on my Trophy, purchased new in El Paso, TX at the end of last October. Having previously owned a BMW K1600GTL, I tend to compare my Trophy to it.

Given the fact that The Mrs. does not take part in my rides nearly as much as she did when I purchased the GTL in 2013, I sold the more touring oriented BMW for the more sport touring oriented Trophy.

Although there is no comparison between that thrilling six cylinder and the three in our Trophy, the 100 lb. difference in weight sure makes up for much of the performance difference. The GTL throttle was like a light switch: either on or off. The Trophy has excellent fueling. For all those who rightly mention how top heavy the Trophy is, I would say ride a GTL for a while, and the Trophy will feel “flickable” by comparison.

Wind protection is much better on the Trophy. I had to add Aeroflow wings on my GTL in order to get comparable protection, and it still wasn’t nearly as good.

The 10,000 mile Service Interval on the Trophy sure beats the BMW’s 6,000 miles, but with that said, BMW does a much better job of making Service easier. It took me a couple days to complete the 10k Service on my Trophy, and that just shouldn’t be necessary. The various quirks and issues that are common to the Trophy are well documented on this Forum (Thank You!), but I have come to realize that virtually every motorcycle has issues, so I don’t think our Trophies are much different in that respect.

I get great satisfaction out of being able to accessorize my motorcycles to suit me, and the Trophy has been no exception, despite offering fewer after-market options than some of the other bikes I have owned. At this point, I have probably finished farkling my Trophy, but one never knows what might catch my eye...  :084:

Fuel economy has been excellent. It sure is nice to have that large fuel Capacity when on the road and looking to accumulate some miles between fill-ups. I am amazed at how much better the Highway MPG is on the Trophy, as compared to my 100 lbs. lighter BMW R1200GS, although I can run circles around my Trophy on the GS, when it comes to cornering ability, which might surprise some.

In conclusion, I think my count of motorcycles owned is now somewhere around 25. Of all those, I would rate the Trophy near the top when it comes to the ability to eat up long distances in comfort. Add to that the comraderie and support offered by those on this Forum, and I would say that my first experience owning a Triumph has been a positive one to this point.  :028:

• Online 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    963

Online 1675

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    Re: Reflections on first 10,000 miles of Trophy Ownership
    Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2019, 06.38 pm
    Aug 12, 2019, 06.38 pm
    If they still made them, I would have another. A good bike.

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4980

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2019, 07.56 pm
    Aug 12, 2019, 07.56 pm
    My sentiments as well when compared to the big K bike. :028:
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline Canes1   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    640

Offline Canes1

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2017 Phantom Black
    • City / Town: Fayetteville, GA
    Reply #3 on: Aug 13, 2019, 12.37 am
    Aug 13, 2019, 12.37 am
    Thanks for the review and helped boost my confidence that I made the right choice Tramp!
    I made the decision to get back into riding after a very long hiatus and knew the type of bike I wanted, Sport Tourer.
    The 4 bikes I was looking at were the ST1300, which ended production in 2012, wanted something a little newer.
    The FJR1300, which is a great bike but not too many bells and whistles
    The K1600GT, which obviously cost more up front and at service time.
    And finally TTSE, newer bike,  more bells and whistles than I could ask for, got a great deal and longer service intervals....And a great looking  bike!
    I'm a fairly big guy, 6'2, 225 and felt this bike was exactly what I was looking for and being a member of this forum, reading the posts only reaffirms my choice.
    Will finally pick my bike up this Thurs/Friday and have already planned the farkling process....starting with the kickstand foot (thanks to you and Coconut) and look forward to many happy miles!

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4980

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2019, 02.33 am
    Aug 13, 2019, 02.33 am
    You might want to make sure they can give you the standard or comfort seat if possible.  At your height you may be a bit cramped on the low seat, unless you plan on sending it to Russell.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Online HACKLE   au

• Trophy Master  ‐    1309

Online HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
    • City / Town: Trafalgar
    Reply #5 on: Aug 13, 2019, 02.43 am
    Aug 13, 2019, 02.43 am
    Canes1. Your height and weight are the same as mine. You will find you'll probably, no definitely, need the seat on the highest setting to open up your knee joint. I've also raised the rear of my seat [explanation elsewhere in forum] to ad to the height to overcome knee soreness [too many years of long distance running when younger]. I've also fitted a set of bar risers just to sit me a little more upright. Apart from these two alterations and an AirHawk I can, and do, run 1600 kilometre days and more very easily. The Trophy is without a doubt the best long distance bike I've owned. It doesn't have the fuel capacity of my 2008 BMW R1200 GSA, but much better wind protection. I've also owned a BMW R1200 RT and find that the Trophy is better comfort wise. I get of the bike at the end of a long ride feeling more refreshed than on any of my previous bikes. I'm sure you'll appreciate your Trophy as you get to know it. I will say the only thing that is not as good on the Trophy compared to the GSA is the suspension. The GSA was so much better. Saying that I've just had the rear linkage apart for greasing, so I'll see how everything feels at the end of this month when I'm doing a SS1600 IBA ride as part of a four day ride of about 4,000 kilometres. All the best.  :821: :158:
    HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

• Offline Canes1   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    640

Offline Canes1

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2017 Phantom Black
    • City / Town: Fayetteville, GA
    Reply #6 on: Aug 13, 2019, 10.05 am
    Aug 13, 2019, 10.05 am
    This is a factory bike, (no ones ever owned it), so I'm thinking everything is stock, including seat. What type (brand) of bar risers did you install, Hackle?
    Thanks for the input Guys! Have already gathered a ton of info from this forum! :062:

• Offline Saddle Tramp   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1480
    • Topic Author

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Here Today, Gone Tomorrow
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE - SOLD
    • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
    Reply #7 on: Aug 13, 2019, 12.41 pm
    Aug 13, 2019, 12.41 pm
    Finding Bar Risers may turn out to be a challenge.
    GenMar used to make them for the Trophy, but when I tried to order a set from them, they never responded to my order.

Not to worry, however. All you have to do is remove one of the bolts affixing the handlebars as a sample, and find yourself quality spacers of the length you prefer, along with matching bolts of the same added length as the spacers, and you are in business. :028:

I went with half inch spacers, but find after a few thousand miles find that I will probably add another half inch to get mine just right. Much higher than that and I might be concerned about stretching hoses and wires...
    Last Edit: Aug 13, 2019, 12.43 pm by Saddle Tramp

tweedy-bunch