Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Replace TPMS Batteries  (Read 3655 times)

• Offline XS110 Dude

• Trophy Member  ‐    18
    • Topic Author

Offline XS110 Dude

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Replace TPMS Batteries
    on: Aug 23, 2019, 09.47 pm
    Aug 23, 2019, 09.47 pm
    Hi All:

I have now put 8,000 miles on my 2013 Trophy which I purchased in April. Only 12,400 miles on the bike. I LOVE this bike!  It runs with my brothers BMW K1600GTL and who ever get the jump wins the race.  It also out handles most of the Sport Touring Bikes I ride with as well.  This thing ROCKS!!

I now need new tires and want to replace the batteries in the TPMS at the same time.  I have seen video's on how to do this but they don't tell me what size batteries to purchase for the TPMS. 

Does anyone know what size/number batteries I should purchase to do this repair?

Thanks for being here to help a new TT rider.  I look forward to your excellent knowledge.

CHEERS!
    Kirk

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5103

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Re: Replace TPMS Batteries
    Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2019, 11.04 pm
    Aug 23, 2019, 11.04 pm
    CR2032's but you need them with tabs on them and I haven't found ANY in the states with the tabs oriented correctly, and further, haven't found any of the battery shops that have the capability or the willingness to place tabs on them due to the fire hazard.  Posts on replacement batteries have all sourced the batteries in the UK as far as I know.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline themiddaysun

• Trophy Member  ‐    26

Offline themiddaysun

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: SE USA
    Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2019, 01.24 am
    Aug 24, 2019, 01.24 am
    *Originally Posted by XS110 Dude [+]
    Hi All:

I have now put 8,000 miles on my 2013 Trophy which I purchased in April. Only 12,400 miles on the bike. I LOVE this bike!  It runs with my brothers BMW K1600GTL and who ever get the jump wins the race.  It also out handles most of the Sport Touring Bikes I ride with as well.  This thing ROCKS!!

I now need new tires and want to replace the batteries in the TPMS at the same time.  I have seen video's on how to do this but they don't tell me what size batteries to purchase for the TPMS. 

Does anyone know what size/number batteries I should purchase to do this repair?

Thanks for being here to help a new TT rider.  I look forward to your excellent knowledge.

CHEERS!
    Kirk

Here is a video of how to replace the batteries with ones that have leads.  You can buy them from many places.
    [ Invalid YouTube link ]

Link to google search for batteries with leads.
    https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=cr2032+with+leads

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10186

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2019, 07.45 am
    Aug 24, 2019, 07.45 am
    Useful video if you take into account the " I don't know what I'm doing comment",
    that the TPMS Sensors demonstrated may not be the same as on the Trophy,
    and dismantling of the case may be a different process - I understand from prior Forum posts,
    that there are two versions of the case - one of them is quite difficult to pry apart without destroying it !

For batteries with the Tabs already in place ( avoiding the risk of soldering ) search for "BR 2032"  :028:

Edited to add - Even if the tabs aren't in exactly the right place, it will probably be easier
    to adapt ( bend ) them or just solder short connecting wires from the Battery tab to the Sensor tab,
    as opposed to trying to solder directly to the battery surface.

Last Edit: Jul 21, 2020, 09.25 am by Coconut

• Online LarryJa   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    230

Online LarryJa

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Marlton, NJ
    Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2019, 12.15 pm
    Aug 24, 2019, 12.15 pm
    Thanks Coconut for clarifying the battery type/number.
    I searched that battery number on Ebay & immediately found a set of 3, $5.20 inc'g shipping, available in the US.
    A good man once told me, "Don't sell your bike. It's your soul."....

• Offline XS110 Dude

• Trophy Member  ‐    18
    • Topic Author

Offline XS110 Dude

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Aug 24, 2019, 01.58 pm
    Aug 24, 2019, 01.58 pm
    Thank you ALL for the quick response!!!  This is excellent information.  I have a good friend who solders medical equipment for a living who will help with the soldering if I can't find the batteries with the tabs.  Buying the batteries and bench work I can do just fine. 

I just can't bring myself to purchase two new TPMS sensors for $500.00 and then pay the dealer to flash the computer as well. 

You Guys Are The BEST!!

Cheers,

Kirk

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5103

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2019, 03.16 pm
    Aug 24, 2019, 03.16 pm
    Those may work if bending the tabs to fit into the monitor is done carefully enough that they don't break.  The original batteries in the monitors have the tabs running parallel to the sides of the monitor, so I think they're being made specifically for them by the manufacturer, or they're putting the tabs on them themselves, which is an option for those capable of that process without inducing much heat.  Just a little tricky to get there for those of us, shall we say, electronically challenged!
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline nervouswreck   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    776

Offline nervouswreck

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 13 TTSE
    • City / Town: SWFL
    Reply #7 on: Aug 24, 2019, 06.54 pm
    Aug 24, 2019, 06.54 pm
    *Originally Posted by XS110 Dude [+]
    Hi All:

CHEERS!
    Kirk

I can't answer the battery question and I'm not trying to hijack the thread but the above comment is interesting.   If you think the Trophy runs good now wait until you get more miles on it.  It just gets faster.  I have 13 Trophy bought new with current mileage just under 60000 and a 2014 K1600GT.   Obviously I can't ride both at the same time but absolutley believe the Trophy will run with the K or beat it.  Plus it is more nimble in the curves.  In fact the Trophy is running so good it scares me, makes me think it's about to blow, but it still uses almost zero oil between changes.