Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Very poor Radio signal.  (Read 2351 times)

• Offline Wilko   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    622
    • Topic Author

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: TTSE Pacific Blue
    • City / Town: Rowley Regis
    Very poor Radio signal.
    on: Sep 01, 2019, 07.04 pm
    Sep 01, 2019, 07.04 pm
    Evening all, I've not posted here for little while, but I have a very poor signal to the radio.
    I don't really use it to be honest, but the odd time I do, or want to, It won't really play, it's never been much good since my ownership.
    Has something changed, am I missing something  :027:
    Paul Wilko

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9998

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Re: Very poor Radio signal.
    Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 2019, 08.03 pm
    Sep 01, 2019, 08.03 pm
    3 fairly easy things you can check :
    ( 4 if you include checking tha no-one has stolen the antenna !   :138: ) ....

1.  The aerial plug is firmly pushed into the Audio Unit - Underneath the under seat storage box
    ( 4 Torx screws to remove and lift the box out ).

2. The Ground Lead from the Antenna is properly secured - Remove the Right Indicator painted
    surround panel and you should see the Ground lead attached at the Upper Headlamp securing bolt,
    which might not have been replaced if the headlamp has ever been removed.

3.  Check the Antenna In-Line ( Push fit ) connector is secure - This is located behind the centre
    of the Instrument pack and requires removal of the Instrument panel cowling to access it.
    It should be held in place by a clip in the location shown below - If any work has been carried out
    in that area,  e.g. fitting Sat Nav bracket etc, the connection may have been pulled apart.

Cheers  :821:

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #2 on: Sep 01, 2019, 08.31 pm
    Sep 01, 2019, 08.31 pm
    Maybe it's just down to where you live/ride? Although the radios in our four wheelers seem to pick up more FM stations no matter where we are so my suspicions are that the radio/aerial may just not be that great on the Trophy??
    When I test rode my bike at a dealership close to London, I know that the radio picked up more stations than it does around Lincolnshire for example.

• Offline Wilko   gb

• Topic Author

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2019, 09.50 pm
    Sep 02, 2019, 09.50 pm
    Cheers guys,

Coconut, I will check those point when I get a spare moment, I'm off to Ypres, Belgium this Friday for five days, looking forward to the trip, downside is rain is forecast all the time we are there.

Earthman, I have tried the radio in various places around the countryside, yes there's sound, but it's rubbish.

Thank you both.
    Paul Wilko

• Offline LarryJa   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    225

Offline LarryJa

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Cedarbrook, NJ
    Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2019, 03.41 am
    Sep 03, 2019, 03.41 am
    Wilko
    I'd reinforce the checks that Coconut listed.
    The radio on my SE runs circles around the one that had on my BMW K1200LT.
    Triumph did a much better job with the audio system than BMW did on that tourer.
    A good man once told me, "Don't sell your bike. It's your soul."....

• Offline Saddle Tramp   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1475

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
    • Here Today, Gone Tomorrow
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE - SOLD
    • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
    Reply #5 on: Sep 03, 2019, 02.13 pm
    Sep 03, 2019, 02.13 pm
    The FM radio reception on my Trophy has been pretty dreadful from the start, even in Phoenix, Arizona where I was domiciled last Winter, but then I learned that the likely culprit was interference from the Clearwater LED Running Lights I had installed.

Given that I am much more likely to listen to my IPod than FM radio anyway, its no great loss to me, but for anyone else running LED auxiliary lighting, it might be a consideration...  :084:

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #6 on: Sep 03, 2019, 05.16 pm
    Sep 03, 2019, 05.16 pm
    Good luck Wilko, let us know if you find something a miss.

Years ago I fitted a car stereo in the fairing pocket of an Honda Deauville, mounted a telescopic aerial in a similar position to where the aerial is on the Trophy. I didn't get a great reception with that either funny enough,......I'm thinking that the ground mass of a bike frame may not be enough??
    The Goldwing 1500 I owned had a longer rear mounted aerial, no such problems with that,...I dunno how it's worked out but the size of aerial to ground available seems to play a part??

• Offline Wilko   gb

• Topic Author

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Sep 21, 2019, 06.24 pm
    Sep 21, 2019, 06.24 pm
    Evening all,
    With regards to my original post of a poor radio signal, I did investigate today, removed the aerial body from the bike and cleaned the connections with some wet and dry and reassembled the connections, checked the push fit connections, behind the clocks and into the radio receiver itself, but still no better, but what I did notice if I hold the base of the aerial itself, basically making myself an extension of the aerial, the reception did improve, but only just.....so back to the drawing board, I don't really use the radio, but it's just something I would like to have working, bought the bike with all the toys, and they don't work, guess i'm being a bit OCD about it, I don't know....but what I would like to know is what is the yellow plug for that is coming out of the loom on the radio unit under the seat.

Paul Wilko

tweedy-bunch