Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: The free hamburger ride.  (Read 207 times)

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
  • City / Town: Trafalgar
The free hamburger ride.
« on: September 03, 2019, 07:00:12 AM »
The wife enquired whether I was going to go to the FarRide at Turkey Beach, Queensland. Being suspicious I wondered why she wanted me away for the weekend. She intended attending a grand daughterís play in Melbourne and would stay an extra day. All good, no need to be suspicious.
   So a plan was put into action. Somewhere previously I had read that you plan the ride, and ride the plan. My plan was to complete a SS1600 IBA ride and also a FarRide 1000 kilometre as well.
    With an ATM docket showing 00:01hours 30th. August 2019 I headed for Melbourne and my ride to Yarroweyah for the first fuel stop for bike and self. A few days prior I had replaced the batteries in the sender unit of my Warm and Safe riding gear. I remembered there was a method of pairing the sender to the gear but didnít bother actually reading the instructions, first mistake. What I did failed, resulting in me spending the coldest morning, 0 degrees and below, of the year riding with only 30% heat coming through to the clothing, not the 90% I had programmed. Second mistake was not ringing a mate, Fatman, and asking the correct pairing method. I didnít want to wake him at that time of the night. We all need our beauty sleep.
   After 377 kilometres I refuelled bike and self at Yarroweyah 03:53 hours I then started on the Newell Highway North. Next stop was Parkes, 451 kilometres at 09:23 hours for fuel. By this time I had made the call requesting the pairing method. I was back to feeling nice and warm, or should that be Warm and Safe.
  My next fuel stop served two purposes. One, a fuel docket for my SS1600 and two my start docket for the FarRide. FarRides start at noon on a Friday and finish noon Saturday. After 277 kilometres at 12:24 hours I left Coonabarbran. The day was warming but my heated gear, though turned off remained on.
 After 343 kilometres I was into Queensland at Goondiwindi, fuelled  at 15:55 hours. As the light faded I focused on the ever present wildlife, mainly kangaroos. After 80 kilometres just south of Moonie I saw two small, metre high, roos on the side of the road. They just looked my way then hopped off into the bushes. Turning east I headed for Dalby and the finish of the SS1600 component of my ride.
 With the Trophy filled and my finishers paperwork signed by Sandra the fuel outlet manager at 18:08 hours after 208 kilometres. My SS1600 completed in 18 hours after 1656 kilometres just left me to book in at the motel just up the road and get something to eat. Immediately after leaving the servo I noticed three ladies operating a wood fired pizza outlet, thatís dinner taken care of.
 It was a short, two block walk from the motel for the pizza. With a large secured the pizza didnít make it back to the motel. Riding definitely makes you hungry.
 04:45 am. I was packing for the 471 kilometres to Turkey Beach to complete my FarRide. I had left the heated gear packed away as the day was warming to the expected top of 24 C degrees. A direct route through Kingaroy, Ban Ban Springs, Biggenden and Miriam Vale had me arriving at Turkey Beach at 11:15 am. Having completed 1021 kilometres from my start at Coonabarabran was more than required for a FarRide 1000.
Lunch was provided by Ghosty, FarRiderís owner. A great burger, with small side of pasta. Thanks again Paul. After what seemed only a short while I bade farewell and headed to Hervey Bay, and the night with friends. The only problem was Rob was in hospital after breaking his hip on the Thursday prior. He was still in a lot of agony after a pin insert when Pat took me to see him. His loss was our win. I had carried a nice bottle of red wine to enjoy with dinner.
 Sunday and I lingered over breakfast with pat. We had a lot to catch up on. Finally it was south to a little cafe run by ex world 500 GP racer Garry McCoy, aka Mr. Squiggle, look it up. His very nice cafe at Cooyar would make a great FarRide destination. Anyone listening, Ghosty. With great food and bikes to admire plus walls of memorabilia to take in, itís a perfect stopping place.
  With lunch taken care of and thanks for the years of entertainment I reluctantly got back on the road heading for Uralla further south into New South Wales for another, been there before, night at The Top Pub. With rooms for only $80 and a bistro serving great food why wouldnít I stop. With the wife not there to say no, I treated myself to crumbed lamb cutlets followed by sticky date pudding with ice-cream and whipped creamed. Who says a long distance rider has to suffer only servo food.
 Now you might remember reading at the start about planning the ride and riding the plan. Well this was where I changed the plan. Iíd originally planned to take a slightly longer route from Uralla to home but didnít want another night in a motel. So from Uralla it was south on the New England Highway to Tamworth, west to Coonabarabran, and home via the Newell Highway, again. The 110 kilometre per hour limit on The Newell would save a lot of time.
 The run over the range into Coona.  wore a bit of the tyre edges. Sorry Iím no different to the rest of you. From Coonabarabran it was a reverse of Fridayís ride. I wanted to make sure I got to my local servo before closing time at 21:00 hours as I like to park the bike with a full tank alleviating the chance of moisture accumulating in it. At 20:50 hours I was on the phone ringing the wife to open the side gate. Five minutes later the bike was cooling down in the shed after four good days riding. A SS1600 IBA ride of 1656 kilometres, a 1021 kilometre FarRide and a total of 4557 kilometres was more than enough for this older chap.

HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Pro
  • Have Trophy, Will Travel
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wisconsin N. Woods
Re: The free hamburger ride.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 02:06:20 PM »
Good on you, Hackle!  :028:

You are only as old as you feel.  :002:

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 01:43:44 AM »
Saddle Tramp. It's, your only as old as the woman you feel.  :047: :047: :821: :158:

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Pro
  • Have Trophy, Will Travel
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wisconsin N. Woods
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 02:04:11 PM »
Thatís a new one on me!
You sure talk funny in Australia.
I need to visit!  :821:

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 01:32:49 PM »
There's a bed when ever you need it. Maybe I could fin d a bike for you to ride as well. Cheers.  :821: :028:

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

tweedy-bunch