Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Ignition Switch Wiring WORLDWIDE Safety Recall SRAN574  (Read 17824 times)

Offline Keith-Trophyhusband

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Vanilla blue one
  • City / Town: Hertfordshire
Re: Ignition Switch Wiring WORLDWIDE Safety Recall SRAN574
« Reply #184 on: May 28, 2020, 09:30:00 AM »
Had my bike checked yesterday and after the briefest of glances was told I need a new switch.
All good so far, but then I was told they couldn't let me ride the bike as it could cut out at any moment and I should call someone to pick me up, no mention of this when I booked it in. I had ridden 20 miles and it wasn't practical to get a lift and no loan bikes so I rode it home, but be warned of your taking yours for the check they might want to keep it.
More disappointingly Triumph are only offering a new ignition switch with two keys, unmatched to the fuel cap, seat release or luggage. I'm not happy about having two keys to use the bike and all they could suggest was contact Triumph directly. They also said that although Triumph do list a complete set of locks including the panniers the dealer has never successfully fitted pannier locks because getting the old lock out damages the case.
I haven't yet searched here on the forum to see peoples experience of changing pannier locks but this all sounds like a pain in the bum.
Next stop Triumph customer care.
Keith

Offline RocketSteve

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE & Boss Hoss
  • City / Town: Bideford
« Reply #185 on: May 28, 2020, 10:49:43 AM »
A brief glance is not a proper check!
You can't see under the Ignition Switch unit without taking off a few items including the black plastic shroud under the actual switch.
The recall job involves re-routing of the loom around the headstock - and then see if the underside of the switch is good or not.
This dealer sound like the one in the South West where I bought my SE - a complete waste of time... :233:
To test a man's character, give him (horse) power.

Online digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #186 on: May 28, 2020, 04:39:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by RocketSteve [+]
You can't see under the Ignition Switch unit without taking off a few items including the black plastic shroud under the actual switch.
The recall job involves re-routing of the loom around the headstock - and then see if the underside of the switch is good or not.
This dealer sound like the one in the South West where I bought my SE - a complete waste of time... :233:

I completely agree.
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #187 on: May 28, 2020, 05:58:33 PM »

While I generally agree with that, without actually seeing what the condition of the wiring is,
I would find it difficult to condemn the Dealership.

If they were able to see the Wiring loom chafed with bare wires visible for example,
which is entirely possible and feasible, then there would be no need to check further.

The main thing here is that a potentially dangerous situation has been "caught"
BEFORE it was dangerous, which is the whole point of the Safety Recall !  :169:

It would seem that Triumph will generally just replace the complete Ignition Switch,
rather than repair the damaged wiring.  A repair is quite possible by someone that
knows how to Solder, but sadly these days such skills are not always available
in this modern world of "Plug and Play" components.

As for changing the other locks in the Panniers and Top Box,
so that you only have one key for all of the locks,
it is possible, but it is quite difficult, and the Dealer is correct to warn
that the Locks might need to be drilled out, which CAN damage the plastic lock cylinders,
needing a complete replacement of the Pannier ( or Top Box ) Base.

It may well be worth entering into a discussion with Triumph After Sales
to see if they would be happy to pay a proficient Auto Electrician to carry out a repair
to your damaged wiring - if the Dealer is unable to do so, which may end up costing less
than replacing the complete Ignition Lock assembly !

Let us know how you get on !

Cheers  :821:

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 05, 2020, 06:03:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by RocketSteve [+]

I agree too Steve,...from what I've gathered/seen on here from ones that have failed, it's the copper wires that fatigue/break, the outer sheath/covering doesn't even show wear/holes?? So how can they know for sure even if they do happen to get a good view whilst stood at the side of the bike. :187:   

Online digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #189 on: June 05, 2020, 11:43:10 PM »
Without disassembling and checking well, they may not know, it is possible that the harness cover is ok, but who can confirm that the cables are stretched inside the harness?

We all know that this harness has been stretched, with its short cables, harness strangled by other harnesses, tightened by the clutch cable, and the brake hoses grazing. Then you should check the interior ...
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

Offline MNGreg

• Trophy Member
  • MNGreg
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Maple Lake
« Reply #190 on: June 06, 2020, 12:53:48 PM »
Should they actually be rerouting any wires?
My dealer just did the recall and paperwork basically says :

"Routing looks ok, ignition switch wires are ok".

Offline RocketSteve

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE & Boss Hoss
  • City / Town: Bideford
« Reply #191 on: June 06, 2020, 01:31:08 PM »
Anyone in any doubt about this Dealer Check needs to read the !IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL! letter again...

"The reason for this recall notice:"

"What Triumph and your dealer will do"

It's very simple. :210:
To test a man's character, give him (horse) power.

tweedy-bunch