Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Ignition Switch Wiring WORLDWIDE Safety Recall SRAN574  (Read 47810 times)

Offline dietDrThunder

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 S10 '15 TTSE
  • City / Town: Nashvegas, TN
Re: Ignition Switch Wiring WORLDWIDE Safety Recall SRAN574
« Reply #280 on: May 14, 2021, 03:07:46 pm »
Just checked my VIN...time to make an appointment for my 2015.

Offline Spanish Andy

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Madrid
« Reply #281 on: May 31, 2021, 10:27:21 pm »
i took my 2017 TTSE for the ignition switch recall just after summer last year. Previous to taking it I took a quick look to see how the brake hose was routed and based on what I had read on the forum, it's as it should be, routed over rather than under the ignition harness. However, I did see what looked like a break in the outer cover of the ignition harness where it attaches the ignition it was hard to see properly. anyway the dealer (Triumph Madrid) told me that they checked the hose routing and ignition harness and all was OK, so I thought no more about it. 

This afternoon I took the fairings off to do routine maint. and with a better view of the ignition i can clearly see that the outer protection of the harness is indeed broken where it connects to the ignition and the inner cables are exposed. I am torn between taking it back to the same Triumph dealer, a different one or just repair it myself. The correct thing to do is take back and explain that I am less than happy but I tend to do most work myself anyway and this reinforces a mistrust that I have for many garages.

Ironically though, I did laugh when I opened an email from the Spanish / French version of world of triumph, I had asked them to order the socket for adjusting the head stock bearings they told me and I quote : "TRIUMPH tools are reserved for professionals"   :745:

Offline digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #282 on: May 31, 2021, 11:20:14 pm »
Well, given the case of the Spanish concessionaires that I have been seeing the work they have done with the routing of the ignition key harness. The best thing is that you put your hand to work and do it yourself.

Six years ago I encountered this problem, I bought the second-hand Trophy and when they had to deliver it to me, it was delayed because it had the problem of the ignition key harness, the dealer did not give or had no idea to repair it, like this They changed the battery and told me that the problem was already solved.

They gave me the motorcycle and a week after having the trophy in my possession, the horn and braking light began to fail and later two days later, the motorcycle did not start, so I took my work tools, as it happened to me While I was working and I took a wire and I made a bridge to the starter relay, not the solenoid, I was able to get home and began to see what I could do, so I removed the ignition key, and changed the five wires of the ignition key. contact, the cables soldered correctly and never failed again.

Later when I saw so many problems caused to many people, I reassembled the harness and the ignition key, believe me that after more than five years, it was as I had left it.

So, I studied how to be able to put an end to that problem, what I did is install two harnesses with five wires each one plus two wires to each harness of the key transponder, all the cables soldered directly to the connector of the key.

Of course the two harnesses with about 40 cm longer than the original harness and take it to the immobilizer connector making a detour doing like a U and in that way, you will never be able to tighten the harness or rub against the clutch hose or other harnesses, since instead of directing the harness directly to the ignition key, it does not go directly, but instead it takes the direction of the immobilizer connector.
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

Offline Spanish Andy

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Madrid
« Reply #283 on: June 01, 2021, 12:08:47 pm »
@Digital you are spot on. This is not the first time ( or second) that I have had problems with main dealers here in Madrid. 

These are a couple of pictures of what apparently is all OK and not needing to be fixed according to the Triumph dealer !!!

Offline Yaga1973

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 TTSE - Blue
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, TX
« Reply #284 on: June 01, 2021, 03:31:20 pm »
It's incredible that you both have horrible experiences with the Triumph dealers in Spain.
Ride safe, ride often!

One of the "New" Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #285 on: June 01, 2021, 04:08:18 pm »
In Spain there are few Trophies, but personally I know about 25 Trophies and cases of blunder made by official services and especially the removal of the ignition key, I have seen some and photos too, so nothing surprises me in adsoluto.
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

Offline RV8tor513

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: K Falls
« Reply #286 on: June 11, 2021, 06:24:13 am »
*Originally Posted by RV8tor513 [+]
It appears that this recall is still active, https://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/owners/recalls I found my Trophy on the recall list. My taillight, license plate light and brake light had stopped working. Traced the fault to the bottom of the ignition switch where the front brake line has damaged to connector at the bottom of the ignition switch when turning the handle bars to the right.
I took my Trophy to my nearest dealer (277 miles away) for this safety recall the first part of this month. I had noticed that my park light, horn, tail light and brake light were no longer working. I had narrowed this down to the ignition wiring and when researching how to access the ignition switch found the safety recall on this very problem. Long story short the dealer showed on the invoice: one rework wire kit, ignition lock. warranty;
and under the description had: Sb574 reroute lg.Switch Wiring. Also a test ride by the Technician. So I 'assumed' that all was corrected, like a fool  :172:
I did not double check this work before I loaded the bike on my trailer and headed back home. Five hours later I unloaded the bike and took a short ride. No horn!!! What the hick!!! Checked the tail light and park light and no joy there either. I called the dealer and talked to the service manager and he was not sure what was done and needed to talk to the tech and the service writer about this problem. He called me back and had egg on his face that the Safety Recall work was not done but charge to Triumph Motorcycles America. Here are the pictures of what I found after waiting all weekend and the last four days for a call back from the service manager.  :233:
He was suppose to be in contact with Triumph America to see what they could do for me. I'll call Triumph America tomorrow on my own and see what they have to say.

Does anyone have any experiance replacing the ignition switch. How does one remove the tamper proof fasteners that hold the switch to the upper yoke?

Thanks for the help,

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #287 on: June 11, 2021, 07:43:57 am »
RV8tor513 :

I am totally shocked, appalled, and angry at your report !  :233:

From what you say and describe the Dealer has Invoiced Triumph for the "Rework Kit"
and advised you that the Recall Inspection had been completed, when it had not.

This is completely unforgivable - especially after you had experienced
the known symptoms of damage to the Ignition Switch wiring.

The rework kit that they Invoiced Triumph for, includes a tougher outer shroud
to be fitted over the wiring where it exits the base of the Ignition Switch,
and this has obviously not been done.  If they had started to fit that,
the damage to the wiring would have been evident, and further examination
would have revealed the extent of it, needing a new Ignition Switch to be fitted.

In addition to your discussions with Triumph America, I would also write in the strongest terms
to Triumph Motorcycles in the UK, AND report this to the NTSB.

Put simply, the Dealer are FRAUDULENT, and they put your LIFE AT RISK !
In my personal opinion they should not be permitted to work on any motorcycle again !

There is a REAL RISK when the wiring wears through, like yours has,
that the Ignition supply can be suddenly and unexpectedly disconnected,
resulting in the engine stopping - which could have serious or even FATAL
consequences if it were to happen on a bend, or during an overtake etc,
which is the reason that the Worldwide Safety Inspection was mandated.

I would now be insisting that Triumph ( NOT the Dealer you have mentioned )
deliver a replacement Loan bike to you and collect your Trophy to complete the work
properly and to your satisfaction - including replacement of the complete lock set,
if that is your wish.

Please keep us posted with any developments.