Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Ignition Switch Wiring WORLDWIDE Safety Recall SRAN574  (Read 51510 times)

Offline Spanish Andy

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Madrid
Re: Ignition Switch Wiring WORLDWIDE Safety Recall SRAN574
« Reply #288 on: June 11, 2021, 11:51:12 am »
*Originally Posted by RV8tor513 [+]

Does anyone have any experiance replacing the ignition switch. How does one remove the tamper proof fasteners that hold the switch to the upper yoke?

It's shocking that your dealer actually invoiced Triumph for the kit !! I hope that Triumph (not the dealer) come through for you though. If you are going to fix it yourself you could just solder some new (longer) wires rather than replace the whole ignition ?

Offline RV8tor513

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: K Falls
« Reply #289 on: June 11, 2021, 03:36:47 pm »
*Originally Posted by Spanish Andy [+]
It's shocking that your dealer actually invoiced Triumph for the kit !! I hope that Triumph (not the dealer) come through for you though. If you are going to fix it yourself you could just solder some new (longer) wires rather than replace the whole ignition ?

Andy, Yes that was my thought as well but after inspecting the wire integrity from the switch to the connector I found more breaks in the insulation. This one is so close to the connector that I feel it best to replace the whole switch with new wiring and connector. I feel it is the best option at this point, even if I get no help from Triumph America with a replacement switch.

I just got off the phone with Chris at Triumph America so they are now aware of my problem. Now I wait and see what the Big Boys do.

Offline digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #290 on: June 11, 2021, 04:36:12 pm »
I still do not know of any case that the part of the ignition key has been broken. So I am happy to see that it is a well made material.

I want to add that if you look at the five contact points where these five cables are welded, they are of quality and with good tin it welds very well and looks great.

So, my advice is not to replace the ignition ignition key and with five good quality cables and somewhat longer than those provided by an ignition switch, re-solder the cables to its five contacts.

If you are not good professionals in soldering cables, you always have the option of taking it to a television repair shop or electronics work.

They should also know how to do this work at a dealership or take it themselves to an electronics workshop.

More than anything, because if the ignition switch is changed you will have to replace the key cylinders of the fuel tank, TopCase, saddlebags and seat locks.
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

Offline RV8tor513

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 12, 2021, 05:04:13 am »
*Originally Posted by digital [+]
I still do not know of any case that the part of the ignition key has been broken. So I am happy to see that it is a well made material.

I want to add that if you look at the five contact points where these five cables are welded, they are of quality and with good tin it welds very well and looks great.

So, my advice is not to replace the ignition ignition key and with five good quality cables and somewhat longer than those provided by an ignition switch, re-solder the cables to its five contacts.

If you are not good professionals in soldering cables, you always have the option of taking it to a television repair shop or electronics work.

They should also know how to do this work at a dealership or take it themselves to an electronics workshop.

More than anything, because if the ignition switch is changed you will have to replace the key cylinders of the fuel tank, TopCase, saddlebags and seat locks.
digital,
Yes, I understand the work involved with changing the ignition switch and keys etc. I think I can live with having a two key bike, one for the ignition and fuel cap and another for the luggage and seat, IMHO I think it is actually more convenient that way.

Today I soldered new wires onto the switch and put the bike back together and running again. Problem is the ignition switch has worn contacts inside of it and the key has to be wiggled to make contact and energize the electronics, that is still a big Safety issue in my book.

My phone call to Triumph America had the desired effect, the service manager at the dealership has emailed me twice today with updates to let me know what he is going to do and what I can expect in the coming weeks. I was told he will contact me again on Tuesday next week to let me know when I can get the bike back into the shop. I miss riding the Trophy.

Cheers. :001:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 05:07:33 am by RV8tor513 »

Offline digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #292 on: June 12, 2021, 11:13:53 am »
Indeed, I do not see that it is a big problem to carry two keys, in fact I have two keys, but of course, they are very different and I do not have the wrong key.

It is rare that the key has so much play inside its cylinder, daily I insert the key into the cylinder and take it out about 20 times a day and it is the same as the first day I took this motorcycle.

Change the key to a standard one that goes if the transponder and the old one if it had signs of wear.
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

Offline RV8tor513

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 25, 2021, 09:49:44 pm »
*Originally Posted by RV8tor513 [+]
Andy, Yes that was my thought as well but after inspecting the wire integrity from the switch to the connector I found more breaks in the insulation. This one is so close to the connector that I feel it best to replace the whole switch with new wiring and connector. I feel it is the best option at this point, even if I get no help from Triumph America with a replacement switch.

I just got off the phone with Chris at Triumph America so they are now aware of my problem. Now I wait and see what the Big Boys do.

Chris at Atlanta called and told me that he was passing the ball to Jesse, (thanks for that call Chris, I appreciate being kept in the loop.) So the Big boys at Triumph America stood Tall and got the job going. Thank you Chris and Jesse! :047:

So it has been a few weeks and I am happy :046: to report I have my Trophy back with new Keys, Ignition Switch, Tank Lock, Seat Lock installed. They sent me home with three new lock barrels for the bags and trunk.

I found Coconut's post with the dimensions to the pick and reference to the Tiger 800 thread on removing the lock barrels and made a tool out of 0.0935 inch or 2.36 mm music wire from my model airplane days. Once I got the pick to work in the new barrels I tried my hand and pick on the trunk and had the barrel in my hand quit easily. The next saddle bag lock offered no resistant's to my new found skill as a locksmith and my determination.
:023: However the 2 bag was a challenge, and put up some resistants' to being removed as the protector of the contents of that box. I had to Re-Do the end of the tool and make it a little longer so that it would have enough force to pull the 7th pin down and release the barrel. After I got it out, on closer examination I found dirt in the barrel that was helping to bind that pin and keep it from releasing all the way.

So even though I would have been happy with separate key for the bags and trunk I am back with a single key for the bike!!! :001:

Love my Trophy SE, just hope she doesn't find out I put money down to hold a new 2022 Triumph Speed Twin! I sold my Speedmaster over the weekend and the money was burning a hole in my pocket! :745:

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #294 on: June 25, 2021, 10:29:12 pm »
Thanks for the Update !

It's great to hear that you are back on the road and everything is sorted.  :152:

Triumph should be applauded for putting this right after you were let down by the Dealer,
who will hopefully have learned some valuable lessons along the way !

Cheers  :821:

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #295 on: June 25, 2021, 11:26:04 pm »
It seems for the most part that Triumph USA is doing their best to keep the Trophies on the road.  I commend them for all they've done for the Trophy owners like myself that have had issues well out of warranty and needed assistance in one form or another. :028:
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

tweedy-bunch