Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Michelin PR4 GT Tyre life.  (Read 6745 times)

• Offline HACKLE   au

• Trophy Master  ‐    1308
    • Topic Author

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
    • City / Town: Trafalgar
    Michelin PR4 GT Tyre life.
    on: Sep 06, 2019, 01.58 am
    Sep 06, 2019, 01.58 am
    I've just returned home [Monday night] from a 4,557 kilometre ride [see ride reports]. I asked my local tyre outlet to get me in a pair of Michelin PR4 GT for the Trophy prior to leaving. All good, two days later tyres waiting for me to turn up with wheels. Then I had a good look at the same tyres that were on the bike, would they last the trip, and if not no big problem to get something fitted whilst on the road.
       Well they not only lasted but if I was really keen I think I could squeeze another couple of thousand out of them. Sure the fronts cupped, but not overly, and the rear still has a fine centre line down the middle of the squared off tread.
      But as I said, maybe another thou or two. Here's the part I love, these PR4's have now done 17,443 kilometres of nothing under at least 300 kilometre rides. I'm impressed [some would say I'm easily impressed].
       Of the five sets I've had on these are the longest lasting.
                    #1  Original Pirelli tyres fitted........9,686 Kilometres
                    #2  Bridgestone Battle Ax.............8,908     "
                    #3  Michelin PR4 GT.....................15,189   "
                    #4        "        "    " .....................15,408   "
                    #5        "        "    " .....................17,443   "

On this trip I carried 5 litres of fuel in the left pannier, clothing etc. in the right, canvas bag containing, tools spares, compressor, tyre repair gear, litre of oil [never opened], siphon hose, tow rope, cable ties and of course, 100 mph race tape. this bag was strapped to the pillion seat. In the top box was only a small amount of gear, leaving room for my Warm and Safe Heated clothing when I removed it. The tank bag carried all the small items I needed close at hand as well as small food bars. On the right pillion peg was my 2.5 litre water container whilst the left pillion peg I had a bidon holder and bidon containing electrolyte drink.
        This gives you an idea of the weight on board. Not as heavy as a pillion but a bit of weight all the same.
        The only difference I made to tyre pressures on this trip was to have 38 PSI in the front and 44 PSI in the rear. The hottest they got to on the trip was 43 front and 51 rear.
         As I said above I couldn't be happier with the PR4 GT's but I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of the PR5 GT's. I know I could be fitting cheaper tyres but I feel it's false economy as in the case of the Bridgestone's I fitted second.
         Just my thoughts on tyres. I know were all different but I'd be interested to hear what you are fitting given you might do similar kilometres to myself. Cheers.  :821: :158:
    HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

• Offline Flux_Capctr

• Trophy Member  ‐    60

Offline Flux_Capctr

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Lubsy, MD
    Re: Michelin PR4 GT Tyre life.
    Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2019, 01.58 pm
    Oct 16, 2019, 01.58 pm
    Looks like the Michelin PR4 GTs are the next tires to go on. I haven't had this bike long enough to wear out the rear tire but I am hoping I get some great mileage out of the stock tires. Or, at least more than the 6,800 miles people on this forum have claimed to have gotten. My old Harley would go through tires like it was going out of style! Rear tires would last roughly 6,000 miles or so and the front about 11,000 to 12,000 miles, but I guess that is to be expected when buying "Harley-Davidson" branded tires. The Indian Springfield I had before the Trophy was traded in with 10,500 miles on the clock with the stock tires! Although impressive, I will note that the rear tire was so bad in the rain that it shook my confidence on wet roads to the core. If I coughed too hard while holding the throttle, the rear wheel would slip which is terrifying on an 850 pound motorcycle! Luckily, the Trophy doesn't do that wile riding conservatively in the wet. By the way, how did the cost of the Michelin compare to the Pirelli?

• Offline tdragger   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    599

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Fredericksburg
    Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2019, 07.17 pm
    Oct 16, 2019, 07.17 pm
    Prior to the start of this year's Iron Butt Rally, Michelin North America invited the riders over to their Headquarters for a lunch and discussion session.  I'd have to say that they got an earful regarding tire life, or the lack of it.  The feedback was quite vocal from a group of experienced high mileage riders.

I can report that my front PR4 GT survived the drive down, the 10k miles of the event and the ride home.  Another Trophy rider, Peter Green, got over 14k miles during the event on one set of PR4 GT's. 

My trusty old rear tire, a Riken Raptor ZR, was finally changed out after the event with over 42k miles on it.
    -------------------------------------
    15 Triumph Trophy SE (2019 Iron Butt Rally, 2022 LDX Rally)
    16 Triumph Trophy SE (2021 Iron Butt Rally)
    IBA #609

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2823

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2019, 12.50 am
    Oct 17, 2019, 12.50 am
    Normally I always put the Michelin PR4 GT and I have been doing about 24,000 kilometers. They give me confidence in dry and wet terrain.

Now I wear the Michelin PR5 GT and I have not liked it, some scare has given me.

In addition, they carry a sheet in the center of the tire and deforms the sides of the tire.

I will return again to the PR4 GT. I have already prepared a pair of Michelin PR4 GT tires.

Regards
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Offline dandrumheller   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    197

Offline dandrumheller

• Trophy Pro
    • City / Town: Lebanon ME
    Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2019, 12.51 am
    Oct 17, 2019, 12.51 am
    *Originally Posted by Flux_Capctr [+]
    Looks like the Michelin PR4 GTs are the next tires to go on. I haven't had this bike long enough to wear out the rear tire but I am hoping I get some great mileage out of the stock tires. Or, at least more than the 6,800 miles people on this forum have claimed to have gotten. My old Harley would go through tires like it was going out of style! Rear tires would last roughly 6,000 miles or so and the front about 11,000 to 12,000 miles, but I guess that is to be expected when buying "Harley-Davidson" branded tires. The Indian Springfield I had before the Trophy was traded in with 10,500 miles on the clock with the stock tires! Although impressive, I will note that the rear tire was so bad in the rain that it shook my confidence on wet roads to the core. If I coughed too hard while holding the throttle, the rear wheel would slip which is terrifying on an 850 pound motorcycle! Luckily, the Trophy doesn't do that wile riding conservatively in the wet. By the way, how did the cost of the Michelin compare to the Pirelli?

I've got about 3500 miles on my OEM Angel STs now (had the Trophy since June).  They are starting to show some wear - without measuring, I'd say the front is probably gonna be done before the rear.  From everything I've read here, my plan is to go to Michelin Road 5 GTs if I can get them, or PR4GTs if not.  I was poking around at prices online awhile ago, and looked like maybe $400-$450 for a set for the PR4GTs if I recall correctly.  Think that was around $100 more than than Angel STs?  Somebody correct me if I'm off base here.   

I'm surprised at your experience with Harley tires though - I had an '11 Ultra Limited before the Trophy.  I was Running Dunlop American Elites on that - front had 16K miles on it and still had some life left.  I changed the rear at 15K before a planned trip that didn't happen, but I probably could have gotten a little more out of it safely.
    2015 TTSE.  It's blue.

• Offline Canes1   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    640

Offline Canes1

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2017 Phantom Black
    • City / Town: Fayetteville, GA
    Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2019, 12.41 pm
    Oct 17, 2019, 12.41 pm
    Guess, lucky for me, the Michelins PR4 GT's came on my bike when purchased from dealership in Fla. Bike had 7600 miles on it and from what I've read, these were not OEM tires.
    So, hopefully won't have to worry about tire replacement for a while after reading the comments! :028:

• Offline tdragger   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    599

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Master
    • City / Town: Fredericksburg
    Reply #6 on: Oct 18, 2019, 12.30 pm
    Oct 18, 2019, 12.30 pm
    Here is the aftermath of the Iron Butt Rally.

The old Riken Raptor ZR had over 42,000 miles on it at the time of the change.

The front PR4GT lasted just a bit over 12,000 miles which included a lot of unpaved road miles.
    -------------------------------------
    15 Triumph Trophy SE (2019 Iron Butt Rally, 2022 LDX Rally)
    16 Triumph Trophy SE (2021 Iron Butt Rally)
    IBA #609

• Offline karl andrews   gb

• Trophy Member  ‐    31

Offline karl andrews

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: Trophy 1215se
    • City / Town: Flint
    Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2019, 06.34 pm
    Oct 18, 2019, 06.34 pm
    I just had Pirelli  Angel gt2 awesome tyres 6000 miles so far and they still look like new the last set of Angel gt got 16000 miles out of rear tyre was well impressed . The stock tyres on the Bike only lasted 12000 miles and they was tottaly shot rear was down to cords showing when I got back from Italy trip whoops