Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Michelin PR4 GT Tyre life.  (Read 1533 times)

Offline Jeffb

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Columbus OH
Re: Michelin PR4 GT Tyre life.
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2019, 05:12:47 AM »
Tdragger - What pressure were you running in the front PR4GT?

Offline Flux_Capctr

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Lubsy, MD
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2019, 02:54:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by dandrumheller [+]
I've got about 3500 miles on my OEM Angel STs now (had the Trophy since June).  They are starting to show some wear - without measuring, I'd say the front is probably gonna be done before the rear.  From everything I've read here, my plan is to go to Michelin Road 5 GTs if I can get them, or PR4GTs if not.  I was poking around at prices online awhile ago, and looked like maybe $400-$450 for a set for the PR4GTs if I recall correctly.  Think that was around $100 more than than Angel STs?  Somebody correct me if I'm off base here.   

I'm surprised at your experience with Harley tires though - I had an '11 Ultra Limited before the Trophy.  I was Running Dunlop American Elites on that - front had 16K miles on it and still had some life left.  I changed the rear at 15K before a planned trip that didn't happen, but I probably could have gotten a little more out of it safely.

The tires on that Harley were dunlop 402s. The American elites from dunlop had amazing endurance which is probably what gave them such horrible performance in the wet. I haven't made up my mind yet as to what I'm going to put on the trophy when the time comes but I'm leaning towards Michelin PR4GTs as well. If I can't get them, or can't afford them, I'll just get another set of Pirelli tires.

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
  • City / Town: Trafalgar
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2019, 12:33:01 AM »
Flux_Capctr, afford them.  :028: :028:
HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

Offline Fisherman397

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 2015
  • City / Town: Salisbury
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2019, 02:53:06 PM »
I was not happy with the Angel GT's as I have only done 5000 miles on then not fully worn out, admittedly all two up with luggage, but the biggest problem I found was at slow speed filtering in traffic the front end was all over the place could not keep it in a straight line at speeds below 20mph, just thought it was my poor ridding skills or overloaded. No how wrong I was, fitted PR4 just before a trip to Yorkshire fully loaded plus wife, what a joy I can now filter without issue they are more responsive & easier to turn in, I could not believe the difference, just got to see if the mileage is any better but I would happily fit another set of these or maybe try the PR5's if the GT's versions  are available.
Ride to live, live to ride

1979 Bonneville T140E
2015 Trophy

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2019, 05:20:07 AM »
I'm sorry I made the mistake in my first post re the Michelin R5's. They are not being called PR5 anymore, just R5, or Road 5. They do come in the GT version which has the heavier side wall as recommended for the Trophy. Cheers.  :821: :158:

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

Offline Novocastrian

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE
  • City / Town: Tynemouth
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2019, 02:04:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Fisherman397 [+]
I was not happy with the Angel GT's as I have only done 5000 miles on then not fully worn out, admittedly all two up with luggage, but the biggest problem I found was at slow speed filtering in traffic the front end was all over the place could not keep it in a straight line at speeds below 20mph, just thought it was my poor ridding skills or overloaded.

That's my experience with the Avon Storm front tyre as well.  I'm going to replace it even though it's hardly worn.
Ken Hastie
TTSE, a handful of BSAs and an MGB

Online Wilko

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE Pacific Blue
  • City / Town: Rowley Regis
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2019, 09:07:53 PM »
I did have Avon 3D XM fitted to my bike, came with the bike, I bought it second hand, the previous owner had them fitted just before he traded it in, I owned the bike 12 months, then planned a 5 thousand mile trip, in the year prior, I probably put a thousand miles on them.
I had the fore sight to go to my local independent tyre garage, to get them checked professionally, I'm glad I did, as they discovered they were cracking between the tread, something I had not noticed, anyway a couple of hundred pounds changed hands and I rode out on new PR4 GTs, I did the 5k trip, 2 up, full luggage, had them rechecked out of curiosity on my return and a request by the supplier, to find that they had worn down by 1mm, a great tyre and brilliant in the wet stuff.   
Paul Wilko

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2019, 12:06:04 AM »
Wilko, I gather your happy, yes.  :008: :008: :821: :158:

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060