Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Garmin vs. TomTom  (Read 1799 times)

• Offline Canes1   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    640
    • Topic Author

Offline Canes1

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2017 Phantom Black
    • City / Town: Fayetteville, GA
    Garmin vs. TomTom
    on: Sep 11, 2019, 11.39 pm
    Sep 11, 2019, 11.39 pm
    Will be picking up a GPS unit soon and would like some input. First, I'd like to say, given the likes of Google Maps and Waze I was surprised at the cost of stand alone GPS units ! Not cheap here, just a little surprised.

Ok, the obvious, Garmin 595lm ( 5" screen $500-$600)  TomTom ( 4.3 screen Wifi $370).

What benefits/features does one have over the other or is this an Apple vs. Android thing that people are beholden to one camp or the other? :033:
    Last Edit: Sep 11, 2019, 11.59 pm by Canes1

• Offline Stoney   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    819

Offline Stoney

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: '13 & '17 TT SE
    • City / Town: Simi Valley, Ca
    Re: Garmin vs. TomTom
    Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2019, 05.49 am
    Sep 12, 2019, 05.49 am
    While I can't speak for the newer models, I can say that any GPS that is motorcycle-specific is much better at handling wet, hot, or cold weather, the inherent vibrations of a motorcycle, and they are designed to work with motorcycle gloves as well.  That said, I'm now in the market for a replacement, as my 8 year old Garmin Zumo 665 is getting a little long in tooth, and is starting to respond too slow to be useful in a city environment.  It's served me well for many years, but I'm going to take a look at the new TomTom as well.  No perfect answer here, or we'd all be using the same thing.  I use my iPhone as a backup to the GPS, but not as my primary source.  Good luck!
    STONEY

• Offline GarminDave   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1306

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Shields
    Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2019, 08.08 am
    Sep 12, 2019, 08.08 am
    I have always been an advocate of Garmin and currently run a 595LM.  I started with their first motorcycle model the Garmin III and how they have changed since then, the only constant being change.

Recently I have been using an iPhone XSMax with Google maps to great effect.  This iPhone is supposed to be IP68, same as Garmin, and I have new screen-friendly summer gloves that work well.  I find the iPhone and Google maps to be intuitive and easy to use where you have to invest learning time to use the Garmin.  I like the way Google updates your route in live time with traffic.

I just completed a Baltic States tour of 4,200 miles and used both units.  My Garmin had randomly been shutting down.  This I think is due to the Triumph cutting power to it if the voltage drops and the Garmin having no battery life to bridge the power outages.  I have tried the charging pin fix on the Garmin to no avail.  It would also want to recalculate the route at each junction even though I was on the right route and take a couple of prods at the NO button for it to work.  Both faults extremly frustrating.  I was told changing the icon on the map from a Motorcycle to the standard arrow would help.  Surprisingly it did aslo selecting auto re route and it did perform better.

The big advantage of the Garmin is picking an actual route with roads you want to ride whereas the Google excels in point to point quickly.

I dont know if this helps in your choice or not!

Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

Last Edit: Sep 12, 2019, 08.24 am by GarminDave

Dave

2016 TTSE

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9939

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2019, 08.43 am
    Sep 12, 2019, 08.43 am
    Garmin Dave :

Without wandering too far off topic, which Touch creen friendly gloves do you have ?

I tried a few different types, none of which performed well, some not at all !

• Offline GarminDave   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1306

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Shields
    Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2019, 02.56 pm
    Sep 12, 2019, 02.56 pm
    Joe Rocket Velocity 2.0 Gloves - Touch Screen Textile Mesh Motorcycle Street, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Joe-Rocket-Velocity-2-0-Gloves-Touch-Screen-Textile-Mesh-Motorcycle-Street/192157016406?hash=item2cbd736156:m:mM2oBO0pdGTI6K5ViC2uwXQ

Not very good on protection but very comfortable summer glove and the touch screen function works.

Dave

Dave

2016 TTSE

• Offline Novocastrian   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    652

Offline Novocastrian

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: TTSE
    • City / Town: Tynemouth
    Reply #5 on: Sep 12, 2019, 03.25 pm
    Sep 12, 2019, 03.25 pm
    One benefit of the Google Maps option is you don't have to fit a Triumph GPS mount.... :001:

It's a pig of a job.  I just bought a newer Trophy and swapped the Garmin 660 mount and the Garmin 595 mount between bikes. Took me most of the day to sort both bikes....Aargh

...and this isn't the first time I've had to take off half the front end to do this job  :008:
    Ken Hastie
    TTSE, a handful of BSAs, a Vespa 300 and an MGB

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4879

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #6 on: Sep 12, 2019, 06.22 pm
    Sep 12, 2019, 06.22 pm
    My TomTom Rider 550 and my Samsung Note 9 both work with my Held summer gloves, and sketchily with my insulated Cortech OR Tourmaster winter gloves, none of which have touch screen fingertips.  I have seriously considered using a touch screen type stylus attached somehow with a tether and a pen type mounting clip of some sort to make both devices more reliable with heavy gloves on.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline dandrumheller   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    194

Offline dandrumheller

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Lebanon ME
    Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2019, 07.34 pm
    Sep 12, 2019, 07.34 pm
    *Originally Posted by GarminDave [+]
    Joe Rocket Velocity 2.0 Gloves - Touch Screen Textile Mesh Motorcycle Street, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Joe-Rocket-Velocity-2-0-Gloves-Touch-Screen-Textile-Mesh-Motorcycle-Street/192157016406?hash=item2cbd736156:m:mM2oBO0pdGTI6K5ViC2uwXQ

Not very good on protection but very comfortable summer glove and the touch screen function works.

Dave

I'm also using Joe Rocket summer gloves.  Only been using these about 3 or 4k miles so don't know about lifespan yet, but they are comfy and a step up in protection from what I was wearing previously.  I've tried several touch screen compatible gloves, and these are the best I've used so far.  Still not perfect, but definitely get the job done as long as you're using an interface on the device with decent sized controls.  (on Android, CarHomeUltra or Android Auto work well for me.  I don't think  there's really an iPhone option for this though).

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/joe-rocket-super-moto-gloves?gclid=Cj0KCQjw2efrBRD3ARIsAEnt0eiizaKLBJh4A_26Z633bBcLM4RVZY2apo1haBJIazEQTUASr4wzgP8aAg-CEALw_wcB
    2015 TTSE.  It's blue.

tweedy-bunch