Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: numpty question re gps lead  (Read 4297 times)

• Online Noggin   gb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    108
    • Topic Author

Online Noggin

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 13 plate Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Southampton
    numpty question re gps lead
    on: Sep 16, 2019, 01.04 pm
    Sep 16, 2019, 01.04 pm
    Daft question, but do I actually need to remove the whole/ ms faring just to remove dash etc to get to where the sat nav lead/plug(socket) is
    Various bikes, then I grew up !
    1991 Triumph Trophy 1200
    2010 Triumph Sprint GT
    2013 Triumph Trophy 1215

• Online thogland   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    138

Online thogland

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Wasilla
    Re: numpty question re gps lead
    Reply #1 on: Sep 16, 2019, 03.18 pm
    Sep 16, 2019, 03.18 pm
    *Originally Posted by Noggin [+]
    Daft question, but do I actually need to remove the whole/ ms faring just to remove dash etc to get to where the sat nav lead/plug(socket) is

Probably not. The power leads are just inboard of the left mirror housing, and the socket is velcro'd up against the wiring just beneath it. I'd look for them first with the mirror pulled out and see if yours are accessible.

• Online Noggin   gb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    108
    • Topic Author

Online Noggin

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 13 plate Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Southampton
    Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2019, 08.50 am
    Sep 22, 2019, 08.50 am
    Well got round to fitting sat nav to bike, spent 2hours searching for the onboard sat nav, I know my bike is one of the early models, but it seems that mine does not have the lead .......
    So anyway fitted and wired in via the pilot light all working and back together.
    Various bikes, then I grew up !
    1991 Triumph Trophy 1200
    2010 Triumph Sprint GT
    2013 Triumph Trophy 1215

• Offline fingers

• Trophy Member  ‐    42

Offline fingers

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2017 black TTSE
    • City / Town: Limburg
    Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2019, 10.15 am
    Sep 23, 2019, 10.15 am
    I have just fitted a Garmin Zumo 595LM to my 2017 TTSE. The connectors for audio ( a 3.5mm jack pulg) and power (a special connector that needs a power lead part from Triumph A9938122) were easy to find when I knew where to look: behind the left hand mirror cover - this is the cover that the indicator light is mounted into. You need to look from the front of the bike.

The parts I removed were:

1) battery cover on right under rhs handlebar
    2) "glove box assembly" on left under lhs handlebar - I did not disconnect it, just left it hanging on the leads.
    3) left and right wing mirror covers including indicator light units.
    4) lower left and right (unpainted) wing mirror covers
    5) screen
    6) dashboard assembly - I did not disconnect it, just left it hanging on the leads.

The only problem I had was that the bike was sold to me with the GPS mount already fitted - without the Garmin cradle and wiring fitted. This meant that I had to remove the mount to fit in the wiring. Unfortunately the gorilla who fitted it tightened the 2 M5 bolts so tight that I could not undo them.  My hex keys - and i tried several - just turned in the hex hole. I ended up having to drill them out and buy some M5 bolts from the local do-it-yourself store. The instructions say to use 3Nm torque, which isn't much more than finger tight so what was the guy was thinking who tightened them up?
    Last Edit: Sep 23, 2019, 10.24 am by fingers

• Offline jcfrayne

• Trophy Member  ‐    22

Offline jcfrayne

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Verplanck
    Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2019, 01.16 pm
    Nov 24, 2019, 01.16 pm
    the Bolts to the cradle do have a lot of red loctite on them so maybe its a one way installation! Or possible to heat them up?
    I just bought the wiring and GPS mount from triumph and have not bought a GPS yet.  I am finding out the Garmin 660 is discontinued.   My question for you, is, will the newer Garmin cradles (595) fit the old Triumph Mount, as the triumph mount was designed for the Garmin 660.  looks like your Zumo 595 cradle bolted to the mount no problem?? Thanks for the help.

Braap

• Offline fingers

• Trophy Member  ‐    42

Offline fingers

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2017 black TTSE
    • City / Town: Limburg
    Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2019, 02.24 pm
    Nov 24, 2019, 02.24 pm
    The Garmin cradle for the 595 has the same 4 bolt hole pattern, so fits the triumph bracket.

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9939

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2019, 02.31 pm
    Nov 24, 2019, 02.31 pm
    jcfrayne :

A few things :

The Garmin 660 is not discontinued, at least not in the UK ( yet )
    but is now the Garmin 660LM ( "LM" is for "Lifetime Maps" ).

You should have received 2 Button Head screws in the Triumph Sat Nav Bracket kit
    that have red "Loctite" material on them.  Triumph call these "Patch locked" fixings.
    ( The four bolts from the Cradle to the Sat Nav Bracket have NO Loctite on them ).

These two screws are inserted from the front of the Trophy, next to screen arms.
    and protrude through to secure into the metal bracket that the Sat Nav Bracket is fixed to.
    The original screws will undo quite easily without the use of any heat.
    Triumph recommend that these 2 screws are replaced whenever they are removed.

The Garmin 595 DOES also fit onto the Triumph Sat Nav bracket, ( I have one on my Trophy )
    but must be used with the Cradle that it is supplied with. 
    The wiring loom for the 595 is a little larger but does still fit.
    ( The Garmin 660 Cradle is NOT compatible with the 595 Model ).

Note also that as the 595 is slightly larger than the 660, the bracket will need to be tilted
    to its fully up position, so that it does not obscure the top part of the Instrument Panel display.

If you are particularly tall in the body, then even with the bracket tilted fully up, you may still find that part of the Instrument Panel is partially obscured. 
    Some Members have fabricated a "Riser Plate" to overcome this, but care needs to be taken
    not to raise its height so much that the screen will come into contact with it when fully lowered !

Don't be tempted to start work on fitting the Sat Nav Bracket until you have the Cradle
    that your chosen Sat Nav device will be mounted onto, as the wiring for the cradle has to pass through the Sat Nav bracket, and you will just end up having to take everything apart again
    if you have fitted the Sat Nav bracket on its own !

Instructions for the installation can be found on the Forum here :

HOW TO: Fitting Triumph Sat Nav Mount & Zumo 660

The Triumph Fitting Instructions can also be downloaded here :

A9828009 Fitting Instructions

Cheers  :821:

• Offline jcfrayne

• Trophy Member  ‐    22

Offline jcfrayne

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Verplanck
    Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2019, 03.20 pm
    Nov 24, 2019, 03.20 pm
    Fingers, Thanks for the help.  I assume the Garmin comes with the 4 screws to attach the GPS mount to the Triumph Mount as the Triumph kit does not include them.   I re-read the directions now that I know that Patch Locked means loctite! (Thanks Coconut!) and I was incorrect the two red-loctite screws are to replace the patch lock screws in the fairing! It appears that the Garmin 660 is indeed discontinued in USA as It appears in listings but cannot be ordered from Garmin or other sites.
    Thanks So much for your help!

Anybody have experience with the Garmin 396, as it's about $200 less than the 595!
    Braap