Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: OEM Tires  (Read 3667 times)

• Offline Canes1   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    640
    • Topic Author

Offline Canes1

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2017 Phantom Black
    • City / Town: Fayetteville, GA
    OEM Tires
    on: Sep 21, 2019, 01.33 pm
    Sep 21, 2019, 01.33 pm
    Does anyone know the make/type tire (or tyre :033:) that came, standard, on the 2017 US model Trophy?

Also, would it behoove me to purchase an extra set of tpms sensors, in case needed down the road?  Have read several comments concerning battery life, etc. issues.

And what, exactly, is registering the serial numbers on these sensors all about? (Making sure the display can read the pressure sent from sensors?)  :084:

Thanks!
    Last Edit: Sep 21, 2019, 01.42 pm by Canes1

• Offline Saddle Tramp   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1479

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
    • Here Today, Gone Tomorrow
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE - SOLD
    • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
    Re: OEM Tires
    Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2019, 01.40 pm
    Sep 21, 2019, 01.40 pm
    If itís the same as the 2015 Trophy, they are Pirelli Angel ST tires.
    I was pleasantly surprised by their performance, given the fact that they were OEM.

• Offline Canes1   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    640
    • Topic Author

Offline Canes1

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2017 Phantom Black
    • City / Town: Fayetteville, GA
    Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2019, 01.50 pm
    Sep 21, 2019, 01.50 pm
    The tires on my bike are Michelin Pilot Road 4. This bike was purchased from a dealer in Pompano Beach, Fla as a "Factory Bike" with 7500 miles on it. Maybe the tires were changed out and no big deal...plenty of tread left!
    Thanks !

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4965

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2019, 02.43 pm
    Sep 21, 2019, 02.43 pm
    Pilot Road 4 GT's were the tire of choice for many of the K1600 riders per postings on that forum, and it's a little heavier than the Trophy.  The GT is the stiffer sidewall version designed for heavier bikes.  The tire pressure monitors do need to be activated by a dealer by the serial number to display on the dash if they are changed.  I have an extra set that is encased in epoxy just like the original warranty replacements I had, and I also have a set that can be opened up carefully for access and it's possible to change the battery on those.  I think now I'll always have a set with fresh batteries to install at tire changes.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline Stoney   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    819

Offline Stoney

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: '13 & '17 TT SE
    • City / Town: Simi Valley, Ca
    Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2019, 08.13 pm
    Sep 21, 2019, 08.13 pm
    My 2017 came with Angel STs, same as my 2013.  Apparently they remained as the OEM tire.  I've been through several sets of Angel GT 'A' specs, Michelin Pilot Road 4, and currently running Dunlop Roadsmart III tires.  All are very good, 12-13,000 miles on each (9,000 on the OEM Angels), although I thought the Michelins felt a bit 'squishy' around corners compared to the Pirellis and Dunlops.  TPMS sensors on the 2013 had the 'Low Battery' warning after 2 years or so, but they still read correctly for another 4 years up until they were replaced a month ago.  No issues with them on the 2017 as of yet.  I was told that the new replacement version has replaceable batteries now!  Perhaps that's what the 2017s already have...?  I wouldn't think there'd be a need to purchase an additional pair ahead of time.
    STONEY

• Offline Ray_B

• Trophy Pro  ‐    211

Offline Ray_B

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: '15 SE (ex '13 SE)
    • City / Town: Central New Jersey
    Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2019, 02.34 am
    Sep 24, 2019, 02.34 am
    I've logged >70k miles between 2 Trophys. The Trophy OEM tires were Angel ST. At 5000 mi the rear was showing cord in 2 places. Using all the one's Stoney listed more than once. I guess I ride badly because the most mileage I ever got is 6800 for a rear. Before you ask, I ride solo with topcase only, have traction control on and never spin the wheel - but I do like the G-forces. I've found the RS3 to be best value for excellent wet or dry stick and miles/$.

Last Edit: Sep 24, 2019, 02.36 am by Ray_B
    Ray

• Offline HACKLE   au

• Trophy Master  ‐    1308

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
    • City / Town: Trafalgar
    Reply #6 on: Sep 24, 2019, 11.33 pm
    Sep 24, 2019, 11.33 pm
    Canes1, the original Pirelli's were probably swapped out for the Michelin's because as you stated the bike had 7,500 miles on the odometer. That's about all you could expect to get [mileage wise] out of the Pirelli's. I have just put my third set of Michelin PR4 GT tyres on my Trophy. With the last set I achieved 17,443 kilometres, the best I've ever got out of a set of tyres. I had been running them with 38 PSI front and 44 PSI rear, or 2 PSI up on recommended pressures. I will probably put a set of Michelin PR5 GT's on next [depending on whether they are available at that time]. The Trophy bein g a heavy bike requires the heavier side walled version. Cheers, hope you are enjoying your Trophy.  :821: :158:
    HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

• Offline Ray_B

• Trophy Pro  ‐    211

Offline Ray_B

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: '15 SE (ex '13 SE)
    • City / Town: Central New Jersey
    Reply #7 on: Sep 25, 2019, 05.11 pm
    Sep 25, 2019, 05.11 pm
    The new Angel GT II tires may be a better choice for the Trophy. That's what I'm running now with 2000 miles and no signs of wear yet. May be the most expensive choice but if I get higher mileage, it could be a winner. They stick well in dry and rain (tested in the mountains of WV at speed in downpours).
    Ray