Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Hello from Superior, Wisconsin  (Read 4818 times)

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
Hello from Superior, Wisconsin
« on: August 06, 2013, 04:45:22 PM »
Hello,
I am <ducking> a Honda ST1300 rider currently. 
64 years of age, been LD riding since my teens, average close to 30K+ annually on my 3 bikes now that I'm retired. 
I LOVE to ride, it's my addiction, coffee being second. 
I call the bike My Link with Sanity, truly I believe motorcycles saved my life... 

Just demo'd a Trophy SE at an unfortunately very clueless downstate dealer.   I'm very impressed with the Trophy, but would need to bring it up to my specs for hoping to get some info here before I open the wallet.  Some things I'm looking for are:

rider/highway peg availability.
lowered driver pegs
GIVI mount for E52 topcase
Tank Bag (would hope to find one with side and back/front pockets.  Triumph's offering looks pretty small and feature-less.
Low Seat or a Spencer mod, other vendors seats, general LOW seat comfort on 400+ mile days
Handlebar Risers (not really needed I think so far)
High Mirrors mounts ( the stock mirrors on the ST are low like the SE.  With a passenger or luggage, can't see well enough, so I mounted higher mirrors on brackets available for the ST)
Side bag capacity
Triumph OEM Top Case Capacity and if it splits down the middle.
REAL average mileage ( I ride 'spiritedly' and love corners, but not at the speeds I achieved in my 30's.  This body doesn't bounce well anymore.. Still hit a peg now and then. )
Effectiveness of the suspension adjustments ( my demo guy had no idea how to change them and was unwilling to find out.  I downloaded the manual.. )
Will aftermarket heated grips work with the setup installed on the bike ( I like to use the inexpensive stick-on type )

Only minuses I have so far are:
very small fairing pocket and only one.  Up here we have to have 5 pairs of gloves available all year!!!
Not much room for tank bag.
A bit noisy, but that may be in part because of the excellent quiet cockpit.

So, if any of you can help with any info on this, or direct me to where to ask I'd be grateful.   I pretty much really would like to pick up an SE so hope to find yes-es to all these  ( and need to let my wallet know a blow is coming.. (:> )

Thanks,
Jan Miller
'07 ST1300
'08 KLR650
'74 Kaw Z1
'77 Suzuki TS185 (work in progress)
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: Hello from Superior, Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 05:25:50 PM »
Welcome to the Forum :400:  If you use the search function you will see that most, if not all, of your questions have been discussed
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 07:10:02 PM »
Hi Jan, welcome to the Forum :400:. As w8d4it says, I think nearly all of what you are after has been discussed at some point already. Have a hunt and then try again with anything you can't find! :001:

Glad you were impressed with the Trophy, go for it...... you will love it! :001:
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline louis-charles

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE bleu
  • City / Town: Charleroi
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 05:30:42 AM »
 :400: :400: :400:
It is better to lose one minute of his life that to be killed in one minute...

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 06:35:13 AM »
Hello there. Enjoy the forum. I am sure you will find all your answers in here.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 01:43:25 PM »
As said I think just about everything has been discussed somewhere on forum but my brief answers are:

Tank bag, triumph one is great in so far as it is easy to fit and remove when filling up for example.  Very neat yes it is scalloped so loses space inside but I had no problem with all the stuff I needed in France (bulbs, reflective jackets, spare gloves (ony one set though?) breathalyser, bike to bike radio with bluetooth adapter, charging cables and chargers and even a 10 inch tablet and there are some internal pockets in the lid for extras.  OK it was full but easily all fitted.  There is also quite a bit of room under the seat.

Givi, I am sure you could find a way of fitting the adapter plate but I have stuck with the triumph one on the trophy.  Givi on the sprint and tiger though with the adapter plate bolted on rather than using the quick releases.

I find with the lower seat on long runs my knees ache a bit but I do ride with the ballls of my feet on the pegs not insteps.

I have no problem even with a pillion with the mirrors but people have fitted high mirrors.  (check forum)

Top box takes 2 helmets lying down base to base and has a bit of space around for gloves etc.  It does split along the half way line so for the trip to France I got the liners for the top box and the panniers and it was great to just lift them out to go into the hotels.  We had no problem packing enough for the two of us for 2 weeks I even took a laptop with me (as well as the tablet)?  The liners left quite a lot of space aroud them but they were not bulging.  The only problem I found was that the top box lid caught the RHS of the liner and made it difficult to shut.  I soon got used to pushing it in on that side as I closed the lid.  On the other hand I did use to put the cable lock on top of the liner that could have been the problem.

Average mileage, and I don't ride slowly, is low 50sMPG (UK)  SO getting around 300 miles out of a tank.  I have just come back from riding with a group in France and I always had to put less fuel in the bike than any of the other bikes and I was the only one two up.

I change the suspension regularly on trips depending on road conditions but you can only change the load setting when stationary.  I did not like two up in comfort mode I found it tended to drop a lot into corners at slow speed but I would like to say we are both light (well she is) and together we are under 20 stone (280 pounds) and I should have left it in single with luggage I think.   At least it is easy to change.  The dropping into corners lessened in Normal or Sport mode.

I think it has been reported again on this forum that baglux now does a cover so their range of tank bags should be available.

Just my thoughts.

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 06:43:08 PM »
Thanks all

I'm a bit concerned about the First Year Blues some are experiencing. 

I don't care if the audio cuts out, but if the bike quits running in traffic, that is another issue.

Hard to tell exactly but it seems there are very few with 'major' problems...  Hope that's true.
'mine' is still in a crate at the dealer, so no idea what the VIN is... but expect that is some help in setting expectations.

That said, fell in love at the first twist, so .. working the dealer now... (:>

1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC

Offline Bajagrngo

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE launch.
  • City / Town: Las Vegas
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 03:28:31 AM »
 :400: I've sure enjoyed mine and very few minor problems which dealer addressed immediately on warranty
Tom Brennan