Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Things to check as I ease my Trophy into use for winter riding...  (Read 1603 times)

• Offline BigPoppa

• Trophy Member  ‐    81
    • Topic Author

Offline BigPoppa

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Antioch
    Things to check as I ease my Trophy into use for winter riding...
    on: Oct 01, 2019, 05.24 pm
    Oct 01, 2019, 05.24 pm
    Hey All,

I've had my Trophy parked for the past 3 months as I've used my electric for commuting. Although Northern California weather allows for year round riding, it's starting to get cold enough in the mornings that I'm considering parking the electric and switching to my Trophy for daily commuting again. I've tried to ride the Trophy for ~40-50 miles once every couple of weeks while I've been riding the electric.

Is there anything I should check on the Trophy before promoting it back to full time use since I have been trying to ride it at least once every couple of weeks or are the regular pre-ride checks sufficient (tires, oil, fuel)? This is the longest my Trophy has gone without regular use since I bought it new.

Thanks in advance...

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Re: Things to check as I ease my Trophy into use for winter riding...
    Reply #1 on: Oct 01, 2019, 09.38 pm
    Oct 01, 2019, 09.38 pm
    So you haven't actually parked/let it stood still for 3 months then? I wouldn't be that concerned about it to be honest, assuming that the 50 mile trips you've done every couple of weeks have gone OK? I take it that servicing/replacing fluids etc have all been kept up with in general.

Considering that we will all be forced to go electric sooner than later, I have a question for you. :002:

Why are you thinking of switching back to the Trophy now? Have you found that the cold affects the range of these electric motorcycles??   

• Offline BigPoppa

• Trophy Member  ‐    81
    • Topic Author

Offline BigPoppa

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2019, 09.51 pm
    Oct 01, 2019, 09.51 pm
    Correct, I rode it about once every couple of weeks for an hour or so each time to try and avoid letting it sit idle the entire time. This is the first time I've "parked" one of my bikes this long so just wanted to make sure the Trophy wasn't sensitive to low usage. All maintenance is up to date as well as tire pressure checks every time I checked tire pressures on my electric.

I'm switching back to the Trophy strictly due to the weather protection it offers (plus the heated seats/grips). My electric is a naked and although it has heated grips, they're not as powerful as the ones on my Trophy. I knew when I bought my Energica that it would be my warm weather commuter and I would be switching back to my Trophy during the colder weather just to stay warmer.

I have noticed a reduction in range but not enough to make that a factor for not commuting on it in the winter. I've noticed about a 5%-8% difference in battery usage on my 38 mile freeway commute due to weather (i.e. using about 70%+ battery vs about 65%+).

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2019, 10.00 pm
    Oct 01, 2019, 10.00 pm
    Thanks for the feedback on the electric, I do wonder how these vehicles will catch on in really cold countries. :084:

• Offline BigPoppa

• Trophy Member  ‐    81
    • Topic Author

Offline BigPoppa

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Oct 01, 2019, 10.04 pm
    Oct 01, 2019, 10.04 pm
    I think that as long as you're not pushing the maximum range on whichever model you're looking at, personally I don't think cold vs warm makes that much of a difference other than rider comfort. If electric models with more weather protection come to market I think it will be hard to dismiss electrics outside of range concerns.

• Offline 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    941

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2019, 11.06 pm
    Oct 01, 2019, 11.06 pm
    I think you should be okay with the Trophy after its lack of use. Just check oil, fluids and tyres and off you go again. I am undecided about the whole electric thing, range, recharge time, ease of charging, battery life etc. But considering Michael Rutter got his up to 173mph on Sulby Straight at this years Isle of Man TT, they do have some potential. Apart from range, recharge time.....

• Offline BigPoppa

• Trophy Member  ‐    81
    • Topic Author

Offline BigPoppa

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2019, 11.14 pm
    Oct 01, 2019, 11.14 pm
    Yeah...you definitely have to have a use case an electric can fill. For me, it's perfect as a commuter. My commute is 38 miles each way by freeway (34 miles via city streets). I get free level 2 (240v) charging at work and my home rate for charging at night is low. For me, recharging doesn't take any extra time out of my day. I get to my destination, plug it in and when I'm ready to leave for work or head home, it's charged up and ready to go.

Personally, I'm not ready to try and tour on my electric although others have done it, it's a level of planning and forethought I'm not ready to do for long rides.

What I can say is that riding the electric has re-ignited my passion for riding. I find myself looking for excuses on the weekends to run errands on it or sometimes I just take it out for a quick romp down my local twisty back road. Not that I hate my Trophy, just that I enjoy the electric riding experience that much.

• Offline 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    941

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    Reply #7 on: Oct 01, 2019, 11.17 pm
    Oct 01, 2019, 11.17 pm
    I must admit, I fancy a go on one!
    For all the reasons you have outlined.