Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Trying to get rid......  (Read 4170 times)

• Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro  ‐    261
    • Topic Author

Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: R1250RT
    • City / Town: Strathaven
    Trying to get rid......
    on: Oct 01, 2019, 06.35 pm
    Oct 01, 2019, 06.35 pm
    I am trying to get rid of my trophy...... had it a few years now, its gettin old (2013) and I have an itch for something new(er). Had a look at a used 1200 Tiger at the weekend, 10k / 2017 reg, low mileage..... something not quite right... back wheel has strange marks on the rim in line with the brake disc, the alloy parts have a white haze to them, the front of the engine was missing some paint... low mileage?
    So, I went to the Triumph dealer, he has one with 1500 miles on, new fancy style dash, loads of gizmos, heated seats etc.... but, 14.5k  :156: . Had a sit on it... too high for my wee legs, also don't like the hard corners on the panniers and the fact you cant fit a helmet in them. I'm not all that keen on any of the adventure bike looks.. which is strange because I was into motocross / endure a while back. Probably because its proposing to be an off road bike, but why would you take something like that off roading... you would be better with an enduro bike.
    I don't like BMW's, the FJR Yamaha looks a bit bland, Ducati are too expensive to maintain (and buy).

So I just went a 200 mile round trip on my trusty, some single track roads, some A & B roads..... looks like I am keeping it a while longer.... just cant beat this bike, god only knows why Triumph stopped making it!!  :002:

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Re: Trying to get rid......
    Reply #1 on: Oct 01, 2019, 09.48 pm
    Oct 01, 2019, 09.48 pm
    I don't consider a 6 year old vehicle as old. :002:

It is certainly the best 'all round' bike I've owned. 

• Offline 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    963

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2019, 11.14 pm
    Oct 01, 2019, 11.14 pm
    I still consider my 2013 Trophy as being a new bike. Only got 85 thousand on.

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4985

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #3 on: Oct 02, 2019, 12.18 am
    Oct 02, 2019, 12.18 am
    I'm, not sure at my age if I will ever own another bike.  The Trophy may outlast me, and if it doesn't I won't be able to buy another bike since I won't get more than scrap price for the Trophy as old as it will be. :745:  Hey, wait a minute, vintage bikes may be the rage once I reach the century mark.  Yeah, that's the ticket!!!
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline LarryJa   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    227

Offline LarryJa

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Cedarbrook, NJ
    Reply #4 on: Oct 02, 2019, 12.57 am
    Oct 02, 2019, 12.57 am
    I'm believing that my se is probably my last bike. It does everything I desire. I'm 68 now. I've probably only got a couple of years of riding left, since I do seem to be losing a little "resilience" each year.
    Besides, right now, I don't see a better bike(for me)!!
    A good man once told me, "Don't sell your bike. It's your soul."....

• Offline Saddle Tramp   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1480

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
    • Here Today, Gone Tomorrow
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE - SOLD
    • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
    Reply #5 on: Oct 02, 2019, 01.23 pm
    Oct 02, 2019, 01.23 pm
    *Originally Posted by trophied [+]
    I'm, not sure at my age if I will ever own another bike.  The Trophy may outlast me, and if it doesn't I won't be able to buy another bike since I won't get more than scrap price for the Trophy as old as it will be. :745:  Hey, wait a minute, vintage bikes may be the rage once I reach the century mark.  Yeah, that's the ticket!!!

You, Sir, are just ornery enough to make it to the Century Mark!  :129:
    Hope someone has designed training wheels for your Trophy by then though!  :153:

• Online HACKLE   au

• Trophy Master  ‐    1310

Online HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
    • City / Town: Trafalgar
    Reply #6 on: Oct 03, 2019, 01.07 am
    Oct 03, 2019, 01.07 am
    LarryJa, your only a "young chap" at 68. I've got four years on you and I plan to be riding into my 80's. Well that's the plan. While I can still throw the leg over [the bike that is] I'll keep riding.  :821: :169:
    HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

• Offline Dmcfadyen

• Trophy Member  ‐    66

Offline Dmcfadyen

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE Silve
    • City / Town: Livingston
    Reply #7 on: Oct 03, 2019, 02.53 pm
    Oct 03, 2019, 02.53 pm
    I am exactly the same. I want a fully dressed tourer not an adventure bike. My Trophy is a 2012 with 20K on the clock now. I don't particularly want an RT. Ive had an FJR and GTR1400 and the  Trophy is better although a little down on power. I tried a KTM Super adventure and although its really fast and handles brilliantly and all that, it doesn't feel like a 16K luxury bike. I'm just going to take the huge 20K service bill on the chin along with new tyres and TPMS valves and keep the thing. I've had it 6 years now and I've never kept a bike that long. It's just too good to trade in for an adventure bike that doesn't really meet my needs.