Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Exhaust connector rotting  (Read 5366 times)

• Offline andcro

• Trophy Member  ‐    64
    • Topic Author

Offline andcro

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
    • City / Town: Swanage
    Exhaust connector rotting
    on: Oct 02, 2019, 04.04 pm
    Oct 02, 2019, 04.04 pm
    Hi guys,

The flange where you slide the exhaust in to the collector on my 2015 TTSE is rotting and falling apart.

I've used loads of sealant and put the bits back around and clamped in place but I'm still hearing a crackle so it'll burn through soon enough. I've searched the discussions and I've seen "unfinished" topics from a few years back - but I wanted to see if anybody else has successfully resolved the problem?

Thanks!
    you can't buy happiness but you can buy a motorcycle - which is the same thing :-)

• Offline 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    970

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    Re: Exhaust connector rotting
    Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2019, 08.05 pm
    Oct 02, 2019, 08.05 pm
    Mine too is starting to show signs of corrosion and I may have to take action to repair it. I don't propose to spend 700 plus on a set of downpipes, but will look at making a new section to weld in the place of the damaged female part. I contacted Triumph about welding on the bike and they advised I remove the ECU to stop it getting damaged. A bit disappointing that this has corroded, considering it is stainless steel. Obviously a very poor quality grade

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2019, 07.37 am
    Oct 03, 2019, 07.37 am
    Every time I have to remove the tailpipe on mine I cringe, expecting one or more of those tabs to break off.
    It would be better if both parts joined via a flange/nut and bolt affair in my opinion, maybe a mod that an experienced welder would be willing to do? Not sure about access whilst working on the bike though, bad enough getting to that one clamp nut.

• Offline andcro

• Trophy Member  ‐    64
    • Topic Author

Offline andcro

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2019, 10.38 am
    Oct 03, 2019, 10.38 am
    I've been looking at repair sections - there are some on ebay for around 10 so once the weather drops to a level where I won't ride I might remove it from the bike and find a decent welder who can graft on a new piece.

I do agree though - shocking quality.
    you can't buy happiness but you can buy a motorcycle - which is the same thing :-)

• Offline 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    970

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2019, 10.49 am
    Oct 03, 2019, 10.49 am
    Let us all know how you get on. I was going to make mine out of stainless tube, I will have something suitable laid around.

• Offline andcro

• Trophy Member  ‐    64
    • Topic Author

Offline andcro

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2019, 11.33 am
    Oct 03, 2019, 11.33 am
    I had hoped there would be an after market set of headers/downpipes - but not found anybody who makes them. I did think about having a set made but I think there's a CAT just before it connects to the exhaust so that would probably make it A) more expensive than OEM and B) more complex and potentially require a retune to work properly.

I'm not advertising this part - but something like this part on ebay could potentially be used to replace the rotting part and welded to the existing collector box.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Any-Size-Repair-Section-Stainless-Steel-Exhaust-Pipe-Tube-Expanded-Swaged-Fit/352192809933?var=621623126678&hash=item520053cbcd:m:mvnjruWDr0VGjBWqod51sRA

• Offline Zipster00

• Trophy Member  ‐    12

Offline Zipster00

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Enniskillen
    Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2021, 01.00 pm
    Feb 26, 2021, 01.00 pm
    Hi, did anyone come up with a workable fix for this? Mine has been losing tabs for the last year or so and Id like to fix it before it gets beyond repair. Thanks

• Offline HACKLE   au

• Trophy Master  ‐    1337

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
    • City / Town: Trafalgar
    Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2021, 11.22 pm
    Feb 26, 2021, 11.22 pm
    To my way of thinking one cause of the problem is when removing the rear wheel, that owners just undo the clamp and then bend the exhaust/tail pipe out of the way. This will of course bend the flange tabs to the point where they'll eventually break. Every time I remove the exhaust/tail pipe on my Trophy I loosen the flange clamp and the with a twisting method, backward and forward, and with rear pulling pressure the exhaust/tail pipe comes out easy, no bent or damaged tabs. Simple. I know this doesn't solve the problem of replacing broken tabs but it certainly prevents then getting broken in the first place. Cheers.  :169: :169:
    HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060