Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Safer on a Bike?  (Read 7312 times)

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
Safer on a Bike?
« on: August 07, 2013, 04:11:34 PM »
As you know I commute most days on my Trophy. I love the morning ride whatever the weather and the return trip chills me out. I have found that I feel far safer on the bike than I do when I have to take the car.

Let me explain. On the bike I can get out of trouble much easier than the car due to the bikes size. As I ride I am always planning an escape route in the case of a potential hazard (something not always possible in the car). It brakes quicker than the car and can slip through narrow gaps if needs be. Whilst I understand that any collision can and probably will, result in worse injuries, I do my damndest to avoid such things  :001:

All in all I much prefer the bike. I find it less constricting on the road than the car.

Anyone else feel the same?
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: Safer on a Bike?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 04:17:24 PM »
Much as I like to ride I absolutely do not feel safer on a motorcycle.  There are so many idiot drivers in cars and trucks that have no concept of courtesy, consideration or safety.  They seem to view motorcyclists as intruders on the road.  And it seems to be getting worse. At least here in Texas.  There have been many times this year alone in which I've thought it was my last ride. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 04:47:15 PM »
I feel much happier on a bike than in the car.  That probably means I feel safer as well as safety makes up a lot of your frame of mind.  Do not get me wrong I am always on the look out for the idiots or people who have just not seen us but I am sure the IAM training has helped me a lot.  I used to enjoy biking but now realise how much I was missing that could potentially make it safer. 

Also I get wound up more in the car.  I think it is because I feel more isolated in the car.  Hard to explain really but because you are more vulnerable (not the same as safety) I feel I am being safer on the bike than in a car.  AND can make better progress and therefore take things as they come.   For example there is a bad junction where lots of people go into the wrong lane to beat the queue and then cut you up to get round the roundabout.  In the car I know I think about that junction from a long way off whereas on the bike I just take it when I get there.

Sorry for the ramble.

meant to say interesting topic

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 05:49:18 PM »
I feel safer when there's little traffic around wether on the bike or in the car.
You know what they say about the difference between cars and hedgehogs "CARS HAVE THE PRICKS ON THE INSIDE"  :745: :745: :745:

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline Trumpet

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 06:29:04 PM »
I too commute and prefer to ride my bike everywhere I go, but its because is more fun, not safer.

If you drove around here in between the numbnuts that drive on these roads you would not say its safer...you must live in the country.

In fact, I got the Fiamm horn and its not loud enough...does anyone know of a super loud horn...maybe like a train horn...
If I had money I wouldn't be on this board now
I wanna be Hefner's roommate
I trade ignorance and youth for old age anytime

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 07:15:58 PM »
I definitely feel happier on the bike... but I KNOW I am not safer....

Thats because all car drivers are evil incarnate and looking to get a few notches on the A pillar!! LOL
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 07:36:45 PM »
You hit the nail on the head John. I can see problems from a distance and can react appropriately on the bike. I cannot always do that in the car. Driving a car there are limits as to how you can get out of trouble. On the bike I have better braking and acceleration.

An example. When I was contracting in Swindon, each morning I would drive onto the M4 for a mile and enter a huge roundabout at J28. It was multi-laned with numerous exits resulting in cars changing lanes at a moments notice expecting you to be a mind reader. For two weeks I ran the gauntlet on the Honda and was able to easily avoid similar lane changes due to the power, size and quicker stopping on the bike. I felt so much more in control and safer. 

George Harrison

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 07:45:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by Trumpet [+]
I too commute and prefer to ride my bike everywhere I go, but its because is more fun, not safer.

If you drove around here in between the numbnuts that drive on these roads you would not say its safer...you must live in the country.

In fact, I got the Fiamm horn and its not loud enough...does anyone know of a super loud horn...maybe like a train horn...

I guess I do live in the country. I am in a small village on the edge of a motorway (freeway). My commute is all multi laned.

George Harrison