Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Blue Ridge Trip  (Read 313 times)

Offline TomAdis

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Brighton, MI
Blue Ridge Trip
« on: October 09, 2019, 06:25:47 PM »
Last week I did a 3 night four day trip through the Blude Ridge Mountains.  This was my second big trip on the Trophy.

The bike and extras:
2015 Trophy with a tick over 10,000 miles.  Stock seat.  Fresh set of Angel STs.  Both bags and top case.  Courtech tank bag.  ROK mount for my cell phone.  Sena30k for entertainment and comms.

On Saturday Oct 6, my football (soccer) team Detroit City FC had a game in Chattanooga so this was a good reason for a long weekend and ride.

Thursday Detroit to Asheville NC via US23.  Wanted to stay off the freeway and 23 through KY and VA is very scenic.  Getting out of Michigan and Ohio was not bad.  Slight rain and moderate temps. Then, I hit a wall of heat near central KY.  I carry a CamelBak but was going through water at a very fast rate.  The temps were in the upper 90s.  About 20 miles from the VA border I hit a wall.  Forcing myself to take a short break was difficult since I was behind schedule.  While off the bike I realized I was suffering mild heat exhaustion.  Had to spend about an hour off the bike until I got my senses.  Rolled into Asheville around 8pm.

Friday Asheville to Athens GA via Blueridge Parkway.  Have never ridden the Blueridge so I got to check that off my list of roads to ride.  Then, I picked up US23 south and visited a few sites suggested by RoadsideAmerica.com.  Saw Goats on the Roof, the Elvis wart  and camp Toccoa (from Band of Brothers).  Had to skip the Center of the World and Georgia Guidestones.  Was just too hot.  Made it to Athens.  If you're ever in the area you must stop by The World Famous bar.  Amazing food, great cocktail list and great ambiance.

Saturday Athens GA to Chattanooga.  This route to me to and through Two Wheels of Suches.  It was nice to visit both Two Wheels and the Dragon in one year.  Then, I had 64 along the Oconee.  Never knew about this road.  Simply amazing views and road.  Made it to Chattanooga on time to see my team win a very important match.

Sunday Chattanooga to Detroit about 635 miles.  This is where the Trophy really shined.  After the first 100 miles or so I was doing the math in my head and figured I could try to make it a one stop trip.  Decided the bike could make it but my bladder would not last the 300 miles so I made it a two stopper.

The bike handled flawlessly.  It is incredibly comfortable, even with the stack seat.  About the only thing I can gripe about is the turbulence coming off the windscreen.  This bike is ideal for long distances.  Can't wait to get back on the road again.

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
Re: Blue Ridge Trip
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 10:24:06 PM »
More fun times ahead!  What a great first trip and narrative.
Thanks,
Glenn
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Fredericksburg
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 01:32:43 AM »
Nicely done. 
-------------------------------------
06 Triumph Rocket III
15 Triumph Trophy SE

IBA #609 (formerly 42146)

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
  • City / Town: Trafalgar
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 01:48:55 AM »
TomAdis, great ride in trying conditions. I used to carry a "camel back" drink bladder on my back but found on looooooong rides it killed my shoulders. Now run a 2.5 litre drink container on the right pillion peg with the drink hose running up to the tank bag. Also think about a V-Stream large touring screen. Great protection from the elements, much more than the standard. The only addition I've made to the standard seat is to fit an Air Hawk seat cushion, good for 2,000 kilometre days. Cheers.  :821: :158:
HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

Online Stoney

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 & '17 TT SE
  • City / Town: Simi Valley, Ca
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 04:59:25 AM »
Thanks for sharing your adventure, Tom.   I hope to ride the eastern half of the country someday!

:028:   
STONEY

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 05:04:50 PM »
Congratulations on a great trip!!!   That is a great area to ride!!!

I was down in that part of the world same time.  Saw a TTSE on the twisties somewhere, maybe it was you!!!  Mine was a 5000 mile trip from Superior, WI through GA, TN, KY, SC, NC etc.  Nice stay in Maggie Valley, NC, GREAT riding there, northern GA too...   ILLinois, well... ILLinois is the price we pay to get south....

Left 9/8, 48 degrees and rain, hit 99 in GA, I also spent an hour 'just sitting' in the shade due to sun-burnout! 

I often think as I sail along, that mill singing ( and occasionally screaming!!! ) it's 3-cylinder song, '... and I think to myself.. what a wonderful bike... ' ( sorry Satchmo )....

Rock on, man...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 05:12:51 PM by janfmiller »
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 05:10:17 PM »
Just for completion, the SC part.   Visited my son there who is a Crew Chief in the USAF.  Last year he bought a road bike, so we were able to ride together many miles during the time I was there...  Glorious...
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC

Offline TomAdis

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Brighton, MI
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 06:47:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by HACKLE [+]
I used to carry a "camel back" drink bladder on my back but found on looooooong rides it killed my shoulders.

I run with a 50oz Bak in my tank bag.  Hydration wasn't the issue on this trip.  Riding through that heat just felt like a blast furnace.