Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Why do we not acknowledge each other  (Read 7034 times)

• Offline trophy4me

• Trophy Pro  ‐    220
    • Topic Author

Offline trophy4me

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • ride safe (Harley, Dylan, Milo.)
    • Bike: triumph trophy SE
    • City / Town: grimsby
    Why do we not acknowledge each other
    on: Oct 12, 2019, 09.45 pm
    Oct 12, 2019, 09.45 pm
    Hello Member

I have been riding  now for 31 years and I have noticed recently that as other bikers
    pass they just do not acknowledge each other any more.

Not looking for a full on wave, maybe a knob of the head and never on a bend

I tour in Europe and have toured the west coast of America the bikers go out of there way to acknowledge you why in Britain do we find it difficult

Sorry should of posted in general chat🥺

Last Edit: Oct 12, 2019, 10.46 pm by trophy4me
    trophy4me (Andy)

• Offline Novocastrian   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    668

Offline Novocastrian

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: TTSE
    • City / Town: Tynemouth
    Re: Why do we not acknowledge each other
    Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2019, 10.22 pm
    Oct 12, 2019, 10.22 pm
    I've just ridden 3,000 miles around Spain and in July I did 2,500 miles to Italy. You can imagine how many bikes I passed en-route.  I really can't see the point in doing it. I prefer to concentrate on my riding rather than engage in niceties..... If a biker needs help I'll stop and willingly give it but this waving thing is distracting and pointless.  I guess I've definitely reached grumpy old man stage... :002:
    Ken Hastie
    TTSE, a handful of BSAs, a Vespa 300 and an MGB

• Offline Jeffb   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    257

Offline Jeffb

• Trophy Pro
    • City / Town: Columbus OH
    Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2019, 10.26 pm
    Oct 12, 2019, 10.26 pm
    I've been riding for 50 years, and I remember I thought it was the coolest thing when I'd see another bike on the road and we'd wave. I'm kinda slowing down on that now. I imagine, when cars were just beginning to take hold, car drivers would acknowledge each other. We don't anymore (except Corvette drivers; Corvette drivers acknowledge each other). I live on the outskirts of town, and it's a pretty popular area for bikers heading out for, or coming back from a ride. On a nice day, there's lots of bikes. We have some great biking roads in Ohio, and also a fairly dense population. Some days, I have to figure out if I want to go for a ride, or go out on my bike and wave at other bikes. I've watched guys almost crash a couple of times because waving at another biker they didn't know and would never see again was more important than keeping the bike upright. It depends on the day, and the amount of traffic. Some days I'll wave at everybody; other days I'll wave if someone waves at me first. What's surprising is the number of riders doing the same thing: they'll wave if you wave, they don't if you don't.

• Offline bobv07662   00

• Trophy Pro  ‐    313

Offline bobv07662

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Rochelle Park, NJ
    Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2019, 11.48 pm
    Oct 12, 2019, 11.48 pm
    We still wave at each other all over the US from my experience, but the Harley guys generally don't wave back.
    1978 Bonneville    1973 Trophy Trail TR5T
    2012 Thruxton      1976 Hodaka ED250
    2014 Trophy SE    1950 Vincent Rapide
    1976 Yamaha RD400C 1967 Rickman 8 valve
    1978 Yamaha DT400E

• Offline Jeffb   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    257

Offline Jeffb

• Trophy Pro
    • City / Town: Columbus OH
    Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2019, 01.12 am
    Oct 13, 2019, 01.12 am
    *Originally Posted by bobv07662 [+]
    We still wave at each other all over the US from my experience, but the Harley guys generally don't wave back.

We don't have any of that in Ohio. The Harley guys are usually the ones most adamant about waving.

• Offline cecilt   gb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    311

Offline cecilt

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Edinburgh
    Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2019, 09.35 am
    Oct 13, 2019, 09.35 am
    *Originally Posted by trophy4me [+]

I have been riding  now for 31 years and I have noticed recently that as other bikers pass they just do not acknowledge each other any more.

I have noted the same trend in the UK. First thought it may have something to do with the "B"-word. But old habits die hard. I once took my foot off the accelerator, and kicked my door to allow a biker to pass - when I realised I was in my car....
    cecilt

• Offline pjhprop

• Trophy Member  ‐    38

Offline pjhprop

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy
    • City / Town: Leeds
    Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2019, 09.40 am
    Oct 13, 2019, 09.40 am
    I always do.

May be an age thing

I remember use to also do it when I had a VW beetle to other owners as well.

• Online Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10000

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2019, 10.32 am
    Oct 13, 2019, 10.32 am
    We have a bit of an excuse for not doing this in the UK, compared to most of Europe / US etc.
    where they ride on the wrong ( Ooops ) other side of the road to us !  :015:

Last year on my trip down to South Spain it was very noticeable that the majority of Bikers will
    give an inverted "Vee" wave with the first 2 fingers of their left hand, which can usually be taken
    off the handlebars quite safely, and is easily visible to riders going in the opposite direction.

In the UK where we ride on the left side of the road, we would have to take our right hand off
    the throttle to do the same, so that rarely happens, but IS often replaced with a nod of the head,
    although this can be more difficult to notice.

In the UK there also seems to be a reluctance to wave at Learner riders, or Scooter riders.  :159:

As a general rule I will always try to wave a "Thank You" gesture to anyone that makes room
    or Gives Way to me, and acknowledge other Bikers on the road, but only if safe to do so.  :080:

Last Edit: Nov 24, 2019, 01.25 pm by Coconut

tweedy-bunch