Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Lifting a dropped Trophy  (Read 572 times)

Offline Novocastrian

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE
  • City / Town: Tynemouth
Lifting a dropped Trophy
« on: October 19, 2019, 07:40:11 PM »
Well, I'm not going to try this with my Trophy just for practice, but a couple of things I think this guy didn't mention are

A) Make sure your side stand is down
B) Make sure the bike is in gear!

Ken Hastie
TTSE, a handful of BSAs and an MGB

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
  • City / Town: Trafalgar
Re: Lifting a dropped Trophy
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 11:35:04 AM »
The best part about that short clip was the part he didn't mention at all.

If you don't feel confident in picking it up by yourself........DON'T DROP IT IN THE FIRST PLACE. :028: :028:
HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

Online rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Lowell, Or
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 07:42:02 PM »
All true!
Of course, he put no padding down up front for the fairing edge and mirror housing contact...

While lifting you can also use a finger on the brake lever to keep from rolling.  Once near balance point one can also change to a better position (for example- if it dropped on the left side, the stand can't really be down- have to lift until about balanced, change body position to get the stand down, then lean it over, also noting in this case you can't manipulate the front brake of course, so being in gear is closer to a must than a should).
Year round rider here!

Offline ZShyster

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Elmhurst, Illinois
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 12:46:12 PM »
I am quite impressed with the guy in the video.

I do not know what he does to stay in shape but over the years I have had a few heavy bikes go down at a stop or very low speed.

At 66, given that in most cases it was on uneven ground and with some loose gravel or dirt on the surface, I found it prudent to enlist the help of another, preferably younger and stronger adult. 

I believed adding an injury to a already less the ideal situation does not improve the situation.

Just my (very experienced, old guy) thoughts.  :821:

Offline Rick505

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Albuquerque, NM
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 04:03:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by ZShyster [+]
I am quite impressed with the guy in the video.

I do not know what he does to stay in shape but over the years I have had a few heavy bikes go down at a stop or very low speed.

At 66, given that in most cases it was on uneven ground and with some loose gravel or dirt on the surface, I found it prudent to enlist the help of another, preferably younger and stronger adult. 

I believed adding an injury to a already less the ideal situation does not improve the situation.

Just my (very experienced, old guy) thoughts.  :821:

I'm not far behind in age and told someone recently if I ever (or when) drop my bike....I'm leaving it and calling my insurance and reporting it as stolen or something.  :114:  Heck I think I "popped a gut" when I had to pick up my Suzuki Dl-650 on dirt a few years ago can only imagine the Trophy!  Side cases or not.  However, there are numerous videos of very petite women picking up large touring Harley's also using the same technique.

Online rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 04:09:59 PM »
Technique helps a lot, but some people can't or shouldn't and it is totally a personal call with full respect in any case. Crap happens.

I am young at only 50 (don't say that often!) and picked up my Trophy 2 weeks ago. Picked up my full on Goldwing a couple times too.  Me? Only 5'10" and a buck65. All were on pavement I admit.

If hesitant, have a helper ready when you try for sure, but you might surprise yourself.
Year round rider here!

Offline fingers

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 black TTSE
  • City / Town: Limburg
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 12:08:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by rpeters549 [+]
Me? Only 5'10" and a buck65.

What on earth is a 'buck65'? a red deer buck is about 440lb, so are you 500lb?  :745:

Online rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 01:56:17 PM »
You must be from across the pond (can't see that on my phone) 😂.

165 pounds. Or should I say, 74.8 kilos? 😎
Year round rider here!

tweedy-bunch