Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: My used oil analysis  (Read 3570 times)

Offline Jeffb

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Columbus OH
Re: My used oil analysis
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 06:13:59 PM »
I don't know how to interpret the viscosity numbers. Is your 59.9 based on 10W40, or some other reference number? If it's based on the original oil viscosity, and mine is 60.9, does that mean mine has sheared to around 10W40? Whatever it is, both analysers suggested we could do longer runs before changing our oil. It doesn't seem that there's much difference between using 10W40 or 10W50.

Offline Rick505

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Albuquerque, NM
Re: My used oil analysis
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2019, 08:03:51 PM »
I think it's saying both oils sheared down to a 30 weight oil.  My 10W40 after 3612 miles and your 10W50 after 7000 miles.  Can't say if it took that many miles or it sheared earlier and sort of stayed there, however.  I readily admit I'm NO expert on the subject (or any subject for that matter).  Here is the chart I recall seeing:

Here is a link to the original https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/ that hopefully explains more.

I enjoy reading all the posts from self-proclaimed, and some real experts there. 

tweedy-bunch