Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Servicing the rear suspension (Lower Drop Link and Drag Link)  (Read 3648 times)

Offline Pea Fritter

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 1200 Trophy
  • City / Town: Portsmouth
Re: Servicing the rear suspension (Lower Drop Link and Drag Link)
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2020, 09:10:32 PM »
Earthman, what appears to have happened in your photograph is the pinion sleeve has come out from the bearing that sits in the centre of the drag link.

If you look at previous pages on this thread you will see a drawing which shows the set-up.

With the bike on the centre stand you should be able to pull the bolt out as far as it will come. Then I suspect you will be able to push the pinion sleeve back into the drag link bearing and remove the drag link with the sleeve as one.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 09:21:15 PM by Pea Fritter »
Adrian
Yamaha FS1E - Honda 250 Superdream
Suzuki GSX400f - Trident 900 - Trophy 1200
Currently riding Trophy 2015SE in Red

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2020, 11:33:05 PM »
Pea Fritter, it's not a picture of my bike for a start, the setup looks right to me though, when the nut and bolt is fully torqed up, you can see a slither or that spacer under the bolt head on the right hand side correct?

1675, mate you have really lost/confused me now, I assumed that you swapped that bolt around to enable a quicker and easier service job like the rest of us but now you are still using a drift to knock that bolt fully out whilst on the side stand, so that you can give everything a full clean up.

I'm not having a go at you, personally I don't fancy doing that, I've obviously done it once but felt uneasy, possibly that spacer got damaged during the process, hence why it wouldn't move whilst trying to pull it out towards the right side of the bike, I'm not sure.

Now if that spacer can indeed move fully into the middle of that wishbone, shouldn't only the washer/bolt head be visible in that picture above when the nut and bolt is fully tightend? Maybe you can give me a clear 'yes' or 'no' to that question please? :002: 

Offline Pea Fritter

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 1200 Trophy
  • City / Town: Portsmouth
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2020, 09:06:10 PM »
Earthman, I had the pleasure of refitting my refurbished rear shock at the weekend. I found that both the spacers are sized and will not budge even with a tape with a blunt instrument.

I suspect heat is required and a puller of some description to avoid damaging the frame or the spacer.

Adrian
Yamaha FS1E - Honda 250 Superdream
Suzuki GSX400f - Trident 900 - Trophy 1200
Currently riding Trophy 2015SE in Red

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Spennymoor
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2020, 09:44:07 PM »
Can you get the bolt out to the right from it's current position? All the ones I have done, i found it possible. Try soaking the aluminium bush with penetrating  oil for a day or two, then, using a drift, try and knock the ally bush into the area once filled by the wishbone. Distance between the frame lugs is 35mm and  the ally Bush is 25mm long. Make sure there is no corrosion on the short exposed section you plan to tap through the frame lug. Upon assembly grease everything liberally to prevent further troubles

Offline 1215

• Trophy Member
  • the tigers are resting!!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: East Yorks
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2020, 02:51:09 PM »
Similar issues experienced here Pea Fritter but as 1675 says if you can get the bolt out on the RHS (centre stand will need to be 'OFF') then the alloy bush will come out with a little help.
Being alloy you could run a tap through and pull with a bolt or drilling with stepped sizes  should probably warm the bush enough to get some release oil (plusgas or similar) into the housing without too much heat.
If all replaced with a different bush..... possibly stainless.... possibly 5mm longer..... possibly knurled  :001: :001: then future maintenance is easier as it can be moved and withdrawn by sliding up the bolt and replaced always ON the centre stand.

Speaking from first hand experience in last fortnight!!  and loads of help from 1675 and Coconut.

This forum is a wealth of helpfull knowledge and support :028: :028: :028: :028:
four wheels move the body,
two wheels move the soul.

Trophy SE/ Street Triple/ Tiger 800/ Yamaha WR450 crosser

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2020, 09:06:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Pea Fritter [+]
Earthman, I had the pleasure of refitting my refurbished rear shock at the weekend. I found that both the spacers are sized and will not budge even with a tape with a blunt instrument.

I suspect heat is required and a puller of some description to avoid damaging the frame or the spacer.

Thanks for the picture, now I were under the impression that the wishbone just wouldn't come out until that spacer moved further to the right, obviously not but mine certainly didn't drop out. :084:

tweedy-bunch