Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Swapped my Trophy  (Read 9582 times)

Offline Easyrider4

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Ohio
Re: Swapped my Trophy
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2020, 03:29:30 pm »
Sold my orphaned Victory Vision last summer to downsize to around 600-650 lbs.Then bought and sold another orphan Honda CTX1300.  Then checked out adventure bikes for touring but they are too tall for the wifey to get on and off. Then decided to get another sport tourer with the accent on technology and touring.  The Trophy is it and the only smooth multi cylinder (other than the BMW K1300 RT)  that fits the niche. Bought  a 2017 to hopefully avoid top end issues and it is having a clutch adjustment now but even when test riding it at 30 deg F I was amazed at how it fits me and how it performs.  I have watched every YouTube about them and how much riders like them. I will take a chance.  Sooooo looking forward to spring.  Plus according to the members map I am the ONLY Triumph Trophy in the Toledo area so I will get lots of attention as a unique motorcycle.  The positives far outweigh the negatives with this machine plus when I go to Triumph dealers I get a more gentleman’s ride vibe than I ever did with the American or Asian brand dealers.
There are Old Bikers and there are Bold bikers but, there are no Old Bold bikers

Offline bigcountry

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 15 Trophy, 06 Tiger
  • City / Town: Gretna, LA
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2020, 01:26:06 am »
Pretty sure it's the best bike I have owned.  Regarding Triumph, I had some abnormal wear with my final drive and Triumph replaced the entire kit and didn't charge me.  Prior to that, I've never had problems with Triumph, or the brakes.   I've had an opposite reaction to the Forum.  I feel that is more of brotherhood of Trophy riders/enthusiasts vice a place to complain about the Trophy.  Most riders love to tinker and explore there bikes and make changes.  Sorry for you bad experience.
Big Country

Offline Ghostrider25

• Trophy Pro
  • Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph trophy SE
  • City / Town: S. F. Bay Area
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2020, 05:14:54 am »
Hey guys! It's been a while since I have been on. My Trophy is still going strong and without incident. It's a fantastic motorcycle. I took an epic ride this past summer through the ranges of Northern California, from Coast to Redwoods to mountains. The bike was flawless and made an already wonderful trip unforgettable. I look forward to my next trip. I also commute with this bike. She never lets me down. I have no regrets about buying this machine.

City of Trees, sorry to hear you are moving on. Good luck with your next bike. I'm keeping my Trophy.
"The most important thing is to have a good relationship with the bike... you have to understand what she wants. I think of a motorcycle as a woman, and I know that sounds silly, but it's true".  - Valentino Rossi

Offline 2slowTrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE Blue
  • City / Town: Dallas TX
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2020, 12:43:39 pm »
*Originally Posted by bigcountry [+]
Pretty sure it's the best bike I have owned.  Regarding Triumph, I had some abnormal wear with my final drive and Triumph replaced the entire kit and didn't charge me.  Prior to that, I've never had problems with Triumph, or the brakes.   I've had an opposite reaction to the Forum.  I feel that is more of brotherhood of Trophy riders/enthusiasts vice a place to complain about the Trophy.  Most riders love to tinker and explore there bikes and make changes.  Sorry for you bad experience.

I’m just going to say I agree with you and you know that you’re missing your “One of the Founding Member of the Twisted Trophies “ 
IBA # 59602
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophy's

Online mmlanes

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: San Angelo, TX
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2020, 02:32:36 pm »
This is a very interesting discussion with many valid points.  Being completely non-mechanical myself, I debated long and hard before I bought my 2014 Trophy SE.  When I was bike shopping, the Trophy issues like head replacement, center stand issues, etc. were still being discussed regularly. I had to decide whether to take on a bike that would potentially have those problems.  The overwhelmingly enthusiastic rider descriptions on this form and in the reviews made me take the chance.  I did learn to take all the fairing components off, change the oil, change the brakes, and even had to take the gas tank off to tighten a radiator hose clamp.  I had to tighten the small motor bolts to stop a leak. 

But I have to say that I learned those to be relatively minor in the realm of possible mechanical issues.  I ended up with an overall well assembled motorcycle that still thrills me to ride.  Closing in on 60K miles and like 2slow, I cannot think of anything available today I'd rather have.  Although in my area, I have experienced first hand the annoyance and inconvenience of dealerships that sell such awesome and technical machines but can't repair them competently.

That being said, anyone who does not have confidence in their ride will make decisions that are right for them.  My old boss had such a low tolerance for mechanical niggles that he went through 4 bikes in as many years for issues I think were very minor; but that is what he had to do to be happy with his ride.

And as I get older, I definitely understand the value of one's own time relative to what it takes to wrench or tinker with your ride.  Again, everybody's needs are different and all are valid.

Considering both skill and time requirements, I am about to have a dealership shim the valves as part of the 60K service.  I will just hope for the best and ride on. 

If the OP feels he needs to move on, I wish him absolute the best of luck. We all do what we have to do. As for me, I plan to ride this bike until the wheels fall off. I just hope that doesn't happen at 80 mph on the freeway!
Twisted Trophies Charter Member

Offline Mad Dog

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: R1250RT
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2020, 11:18:11 am »
After seven years and 80,000 km, of trouble free riding I have made the decision to swap my 2013 Trophy .  The decision was not easy but living in a regional area the 400 k (at a minimum) round trip for servicing started to take it's toll. In effect it was a sad day as the bike was fantastic in all aspects with handling and comfort on several 12 hour day rides in all weather conditions.  However the hard decision was made due to the distance and cost of the after sales support provided for the Trophy and some potential internal engine issues developing.

My new ride at approx 30kg lighter and servicing within a 120 km return ride made my decision at 67 a logical choice.

Safe riding to all.

No such thing as bad weather - just inappropriate clothing.

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2020, 10:44:46 pm »
*Originally Posted by Mad Dog [+]
After seven years and 80,000 km, of trouble free riding I have made the decision to swap my 2013 Trophy .  The decision was not easy but living in a regional area the 400 k (at a minimum) round trip for servicing started to take it's toll. In effect it was a sad day as the bike was fantastic in all aspects with handling and comfort on several 12 hour day rides in all weather conditions.  However the hard decision was made due to the distance and cost of the after sales support provided for the Trophy and some potential internal engine issues developing.

My new ride at approx 30kg lighter and servicing within a 120 km return ride made my decision at 67 a logical choice.

Safe riding to all.

G'day Mad Dog, the decision is not easy when so much enjoyment and emotional connection comes through riding this machine. As we discussed over coffee the other day we can't lose sight of the fact we like to ride. At the end of the day we select the best machine, reliability and cost of ownership, roads, and mates to achieve this end. It's a shame the Trophy was discontinued and the after sales support is so far away.

The Pillion in a Million is far happier mounting the Thunderbird than the Trophy. I enjoy riding the the Thunderbird, which is also much simpler to maintain. Therefore, the decision to sell my Trophy was really a no brainer in the end.

Logic eventually wins in the end. Looking forward to our next ride.
Wherever you go, there you are.
Triumph Trophy SE
Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Triumph Sprint ST
Ducati ST3

Offline DonVito

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy 2014
  • City / Town: Skepplanda
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2020, 08:03:01 pm »
I have my Trophy for 5 years now and i love it - despite of setbacks with front brakes ( that i still have :012: ) . Now I'm thinking it's time to change the bike but nothing is filling the requirements and I'm very disappointed  :233:  :174: :151: that Triumph decided not to produce New Trophy ..looks like it that we are gonna wait again 10 years until next generation of Trophy arrives .
Right now I'm thinking between 2 bikes TIGER 1200 and Yamaha FJR 1300 ...and i know they r 2 completely different bikes but will see what is gonna be but for now Trophy is the king     
Never Ride Faster Than Your Angel Can Fly

tweedy-bunch