Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Riding through France to Spain.  (Read 264 times)

Online pjhprop

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy
  • City / Town: Leeds
Riding through France to Spain.
« on: November 03, 2019, 08:13:54 AM »
Hi all

New to forum and not sure if this is in the right area to post this

I have a 2015 trophy currently with 14000k on the clock.

I have installed the Sat Nav and will fit the crash bars, replace the pivot bolts, lube up the suspension linkage, oil change, brake inspection etc in good time prior to departure.

My question is

I am planning to drive to Northern Spain (Calpe) through France next year.
I am looking for suggestions on the minimum of service tools / consumables etc I should consider carrying to ensure any mechanical problem etc can be addressed at the roadside.

Any suggestions appreciated

Regards

Paul :440:

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Spennymoor
Re: Riding through France to Spain.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 09:30:42 AM »
A good puncture repair kit is all that is really needed. Others may say replacement bulbs, (which may be a legal requirement in France) but I don't bother as you can buy them locally if needed

Online Novocastrian

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE
  • City / Town: Tynemouth
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 11:18:35 AM »
I did that trip last month. I didn't take any tools. I'm issued with Carole Nash so whatever the local mechanics can't fix, just gets the bike and me back home anyway.
Ken Hastie
TTSE, a handful of BSAs and an MGB

Online digital

• Trophy Pro
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 01:33:51 PM »
When I travel, I always carry a toolbox like the one I put on the link.

Too:
- Voltmeter
- Cardan oil seal
- Gear shift pivot screw
- Universal pliers
- Key, etc.
- 1 liter of oil

https://www.amazon.es/tubulares-WIESEMANN-cromo-vanadio-contactos-herramientas/dp/B01KG2EAO8/ref=sr_1_16?keywords=llaves+de+vaso&qid=1572787527&sr=8-16
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Spennymoor
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 01:41:48 PM »
I am also with Carole Nash Insurance, but I think they will initially take you to a "local repairer" if you break down, here or abroad. If it cannot be fixed there, you may get a hire car to get you home without the bike, which could go to another repairer. It all boils down to the costs to the insurer, so might be worth a check of the small print.

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE Pacific Blue
  • City / Town: Rowley Regis
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 03:23:43 PM »
Hello and  :401: pjhprop if I have not already done so.

Regards your question about tools...Everyone will have an answer, take along a fully equipped workshop to take nothing.

I can only speak for myself, I did a 5000 mile trip across Europe and back home, like you have said already, I did all the basic stuff as you have, including replacing the tyres, advised by my local tyre shop.

In all the time I was away I only had one problem, and I think it was my own doing, not torqueing a bolt correctly, if at all, it's low down on the bike, I removed it to gain access to the gear shift lever, I strongly advise you to lubricate the shaft of the bolt, both the gear shift and the brake one, there's a post available if you look in the search heading, these are prone to snapping without warning due to seizing up from the heat and road crap thrown up, BUT be careful when undoing, remember they are prone to snapping..

Anyway, having said all that, when I did my trip, all I took was a spare headlamp bulb, an indicator one. .Orange lens, puncture repair kit and small compressor, With regards to the bolt, I noticed it when I did a toilet and food stop, I was in a local town, somewhere in Hungary, where I found a local garage, borrowed an 8mm Allen key and torque wrench, 15 mins later I was on my way. .and at no cost either, the mechanic was only too happy to help, after that I had no problems, apart from having to get fuel  :745:

I hope this helps you, O I will also add, I am in the RAC and paid for European cover, I think it cost me about £30.00, not bad really, if I SHOULD of needed to get the bike home, finally, happy planning, and safe trip.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 03:25:29 PM by Wilko »
Paul Wilko

Online baz1

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: basingstoke
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 06:16:27 PM »
Quite a run, how long do you have to get there?

On my bike I generally carry:
Two puncture repair outfits ( Mushrooms & string).
A small socket set with hex drive kit
Tyre inflator
Leatherman Surge
Duck tape
Selection of cable ties
Spare fuses
0.5 litres of coolant.
Towing strap

« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 06:18:56 PM by baz1 »

tweedy-bunch