Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Camshaft Timing - Anybody Tackled it?  (Read 361 times)

Offline Avrovulcan

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: VFR800
  • City / Town: Warrington
Camshaft Timing - Anybody Tackled it?
« on: November 07, 2019, 09:59:41 PM »
Ah, realised how to post a new thread. Only just joined the forum and have a query>

Hi,

Am thinking about buying a 2015 SE Trophy at 16,000 miles, but without the service being carried out. Would do it myself as it doesn't look too difficult. However at 20,000 miles the Camshaft Timing needs checking/adjusting - Triumph dealer costs £1,000 +

Has anyone on the forum ever done it themselves and are there photos of the procedure. I suspect that the full complement of special triumph tools will be required at a cost of around £250, but even with filters, oil, plugs etc added, it will still be way less expensive than a dealer.

Would welcome any thoughts/advice.

Online earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Re: Camshaft Timing - Anybody Tackled it?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 10:40:59 PM »
Depends on how much engine/camshaft work you have done in the past, it's not for the faint hearted but if you are confident, buy the workshop manual, special tools and have a go. :002:

I bought all the special tools except for their expensive torque limiter, you can find a 0.6Nm torque wrench for a lot less money.

Do a search for 'adjusting valves', these need to be checked too, there's lots of helpful pictures etc on that thread but I doubt that you'll find a complete step by step guide on how to do both procedures.   

Offline Avrovulcan

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: VFR800
  • City / Town: Warrington
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 10:27:28 PM »
Cheers. What torque tool did you purchase to carry out the maintenance if you don't mind me asking?

Online earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 10:59:12 PM »
Mines a Sealey one, model STS104, it's adjustable up to 20Nm max.

Offline Jeffb

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Columbus OH
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 05:09:46 AM »
I agree with earthman. I have no formal training, but I've been doing increasingly more involved projects on different bikes over the years, always with a shop manual. I bought the tools and did this job successfully. A guy on youtube, by the name of MuddySump, has a great video of the job on a Tiger 800. It's close enough to our engine that you'll see what you're getting into.

Offline Flux_Capctr

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Lubsy, MD
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 04:49:31 PM »
Anyone else kind of taken aback by the amount of material missing from the journal of his cams?

Online earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 07:20:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Flux_Capctr [+]
Anyone else kind of taken aback by the amount of material missing from the journal of his cams?

At what time in that video are you referring to? Or maybe you mean his following one to that??

I have just watched that too, I noticed that he didn't lubricate the tappet bucket with a 50/50 solution of engine oil and molybdenum disulphide grease, he didn't mention replacing or using thread locker on that top crankshaft bolt cover either, although I don't know if the Tiger 800 workshop manual would state the same things. :187:

tweedy-bunch