Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Qualified Triumph Trophy mechanic/technician in South Africa?  (Read 192 times)

Offline EDDIE

• Trophy Junior
  • Eddie "Ace Ventura" Boaventura
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TRIUMPH TROPHY 1200
  • City / Town: DURBAN
Qualified Triumph Trophy mechanic/technician in South Africa?
« on: November 16, 2019, 05:02:00 AM »
Good day one and all.
I live in Durban, South Africa and I own a 2014 triumph Trophy SE ABS with 55000km on the clock. I use my bike daily to work and go on at least two trips a year on distance over 5000km. I have been informed by many a "mechanic" that my timing chaim/shims needs to be looked at as is due for  either replacement or tightening. The bike like all these bikes do have at times a noise when starting but fade away or at times when riding it makes a noise but also fades away. My bike is performing very well. However, since this notion is in the back of my mind to repair or replace, I have tried numerous motorcycle dealers and the quotes range between R8000.00 to R20000.00 for shim replacement and a major service. All services have been done as per the requirements. Not one bike dealer including Triumph South Africa has been consistant in their quoting or diagnosis? I need to know of a retired/semi-retired, clued up boffin who can give me their meaning and what they know the cost could be if I have to replace the shims or tighten the tensioner or whatever has to be done? Thank you.

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Spennymoor
Re: Qualified Triumph Trophy mechanic/technician in South Africa?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 08:21:17 AM »
The "big" 20,000 mile service here in the UK costs around £550 which is around 11000 Rand. The timing chain does have to be checked and adjusted, but not likely to need replacement at such a low mileage. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 08:23:17 AM by 1675 »

Online Wilko

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE Pacific Blue
  • City / Town: Rowley Regis
Re: Qualified Triumph Trophy mechanic/technician in South Africa?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 10:10:35 AM »
My bike was serviced at around the 22k mark, slightly over, but okay going by my local dealer, it was serviced by an Independent garage.
At 25500 "about" I was not happy about a "ticking" noise, I did post here about it in the summer.
I went back to my local dealer, this time with the bike, I'm normally found in there drinking tea  :008:...anyway, they listened to the bike and came to the conclusion that it was the timing chain, so the bike was duly booked in and worked on.

The phoned me saying that the tensioner was fully extended, and the chain was worn, remember, this is around 25500 miles..a couple of the shims in the cam buckets was also out so they was replaced, so...

1 new cam chain tensioner
1 new timing chain
1 new clutch slave cylinder gasket...missing !!!!
2 new gaskets, rocker and timing chain cover
2 new bucket shims
Labour

Total cost was £868.00  :005: :087: :233:

So yes, the moral of this story is, YES THEY CAN WEAR......and the bike has always been dealer serviced at the required times, as per the service booklet.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 10:12:14 AM by Wilko »
Paul Wilko

tweedy-bunch