Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Filtering Courtesy (and regional variances)  (Read 8954 times)

Offline monkeycabbage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy 900
  • City / Town: Gillingham
Filtering Courtesy (and regional variances)
« on: August 09, 2013, 11:44:33 AM »
Taking inspiration from a post I read a couple of days ago in another corner of the interweb, someone posted this...

Is there an unwritten law that slower / less confident filterers should give way (when there is a save space) for faster / more experienced riders? Whenever someone flies up behind me I always give way asap.

When I used to commute into London, I would estimate 80-90% of slower riders would give way. Now on the south coast (Southampton to Poole) it is only 10-20%. WTF is going on? Anybody else experienced regional courtesy variances?

Last night, 2 miles of slow traffic stuck behind this guy filtering 5-10 mph. Grrrr.
Last week, 1 mile stuck behind a guy who did not even have mirrors (is that legal?) 

I replied with the following...

I think the main reason for London commuters moving aside is that when a faster/sometimes dangerous filterer is behind them, if they don't move over, they will be dangerously cut up! So... they learn really quickly to move!!

I guess further down the south coast, other riders aren't as rude/impatient, so the slower ones haven't been urged to move over.

I still go for the polite method, give the lights a couple of small flashes. If 2 or 3 attempts of this go un-noticed because they aren't checking their mirrors, I then use a couple of quick engine revs to get attention then a couple of flashes. If that doesn't work, excessive revving... then a couple of "taps" on the horn.

I've noticed that mopeds are the worst for this as they stick in headphones, don't check their mirrors... etc. But I try the polite version first and then move on to more of a "move you b****r" approach! Worst comes to worst, If they then don't move, I go for the "get past them" but only if I deem it to be safe.

re the mirrors, there is no legal requirement to have mirrors on a motorcycle in the UK and shockingly... the MOT guidelines don't include them! https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/219090/your-motorbike-and-the-mot.pdf

They are deemed as an optional fitment, but if fitted on motorcycles first used on or after 1st October 1978, must be approved to E.C. Directive* 71/127, 79/795, 80/780, 85/205, 86/562, 88/321 (Chapter 4 of Directive 97/24 or to E.C.E. Regulation 46.01). Seems stupid, you don't have to have them but if you do... let's make it awkward!!

I completely disagree and think that they should be compulsory.... </Rant>

For those of you that read through all of that,  :180: thanks.... and sorry...  :087:

So, I was wondering what other peoples ideas were and if our companions from over the pond experienced this as well?  :027:
...on an old 900  :164:

Paranoia is a survival mechanism!

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Re: Filtering Courtesy (and regional variances)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 11:54:53 AM »
Filtering is a sore point over here. Basically you can't do it.  And drivers are usually not at all helpful (most don't take notice of what is going on anyway) some actively block.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 12:10:11 PM »
Well filtering on a new Trophy takes some getting used too with the width of the beast, but is something that all bikers do surely. I am not aware of any rule as such but common courtesy says that if you are impeding a faster rider/drivers progress and it is safe to do so, you make way for them to pass.

I have to say, people coming up behind me and aggressively flashing lights and tooting horns will get my goat and encourage me to be even more pedantic. But then, that is probably because I will already be making what I deem to be safe progress for the road conditions already.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 01:01:02 PM »
I will always give way to another filterer behind me if he is faster or I am struggling because of the width of the bike.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline Bluebird

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy
  • City / Town: St Clears
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 02:55:23 PM »
Filtering is always a somewhat contentious issue. I always filter in what I consider to be a safe speed ( could I stop or take evasive action if needed). To a lot of other bikers that might seem slow, so be it. I would rather keep myself and my Trophy in one piece.
I have witnessed along with others, what I would regard as dangerous filtering, far to fast. This only leads to resentment and ill feeling from other road users. We then all get tarred with the same brush.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 04:30:18 PM »
 Although I believe filtering is OK in California, unfortunately in many other US states filtering is illegal.  Sometimes the cops enforce the law, sometimes not.

One time while traveling through Virginia (which I do 3-4 times a year) we were in a standstill traffic jam several kilometers long.  Incredibly a state trooper who was actually also blocked in actually got out of his car to prevent me from moving forward.  I guess he figured if he had to suffer then I should too. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 12:16:14 AM »
I hope that the trooper would also have stood out in the rain if you had to, so that he did not have the advantage of being in a car.

*Originally Posted by w8d4it [+]
Although I believe filtering is OK in California, unfortunately in many other US states filtering is illegal.  Sometimes the cops enforce the law, sometimes not.

One time while traveling through Virginia (which I do 3-4 times a year) we were in a standstill traffic jam several kilometers long.  Incredibly a state trooper who was actually also blocked in actually got out of his car to prevent me from moving forward.  I guess he figured if he had to suffer then I should too.

Offline Binnsyboy

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy se
  • City / Town: Selby
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 09:12:30 AM »
     I prefer to let them pass then that way I can use their bike to get better idea of how much room there is ahead.Also the bikes upfront help pre-warn the other motorists of your presence.

tweedy-bunch