29 Nov 22, 21:09 pm

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Header Pipes  (Read 2781 times)

• Offline Wilko   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    622
    • Topic Author

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: TTSE Pacific Blue
    • City / Town: Rowley Regis
    Header Pipes
    on: Nov 23, 2019, 07.39 pm
    Nov 23, 2019, 07.39 pm
    Bit of a long shot I guess, aimed more at the UK owners, but does anyone know of any write off Trophy's in the country.
    I'm looking for a good header pipe, Triumph are 700, and I refuse to pay the price.

Mine has corroded on the end, where the silencer fits into with the metal gauze, the "tangs" on the end have corroded through, and three have broken off, it's either a good second hand one, or finding someone to either weld the bits back on, or make a custom, new header pipe system, I also understand the bike don't run right without the cat.

Any idea's folks.

Thanks in advance.

Wilko 
    Paul Wilko

• Offline 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    970

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    Re: Header Pipes
    Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2019, 09.34 am
    Nov 24, 2019, 09.34 am
    I'm with you on the price of the exhaust. My solution is going to be, cut the damaged end off my pipe and replace it with one I have made. A friend who has knowledge of making pipes tells me ends like these are readily available from bespoke pipe manufacturers, so I may be able so save the making. A bit of a faff on taking the pipe off to cut the damage off and tack the new part on, check for fit, adjust, check, weld up etc, but then again 700 takes a bit of earning as well. Have you asked the dealer for a discount on the price? I got 10% off the price of a rear shocker just by sucking through my teeth and asking if that was his best price.
    Last Edit: Nov 24, 2019, 09.36 am by 1675

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2019, 09.42 am
    Nov 24, 2019, 09.42 am
    I'm sure that all of us Trophy owners will be in the same situation at some point,.....hope you find a suitable solution to this problem.

• Offline Wilko   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    622
    • Topic Author

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: TTSE Pacific Blue
    • City / Town: Rowley Regis
    Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2019, 06.46 pm
    Nov 24, 2019, 06.46 pm
    *Originally Posted by 1675 [+]
    I'm with you on the price of the exhaust. My solution is going to be, cut the damaged end off my pipe and replace it with one I have made. A friend who has knowledge of making pipes tells me ends like these are readily available from bespoke pipe manufacturers, so I may be able so save the making. A bit of a faff on taking the pipe off to cut the damage off and tack the new part on, check for fit, adjust, check, weld up etc, but then again 700 takes a bit of earning as well. Have you asked the dealer for a discount on the price? I got 10% off the price of a rear shocker just by sucking through my teeth and asking if that was his best price.

1675, I didn't ask the parts man about discount, but like you say, cut the end off, get a section the same diameter etc and weld it on, new clamp and gauze gasket, and job done...Question to anyone, what exactly does the gauze gasket do, this is the first time I have seen one on an exhaust pipe, my Honda CBF1000 didn't have one, just slip the pipes together, clamp it up, and that's it.

Paul Wilko

• Offline HACKLE   au

• Trophy Master  ‐    1337

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
    • City / Town: Trafalgar
    Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2019, 11.01 pm
    Nov 24, 2019, 11.01 pm
    Maybe I'm a bit slow [have been known to be], but I see this problem with the broken "tabs" on the exhaust pipe being the result of loosening the flange and bending the exhaust to one side to facilitate the removal of the rear wheel for tyre changes or other work. I under no circumstances just bend the exhaust to one side, I remove it carefully by turning left and right whilst gently pulling back on it. Have done this countless times for new tyres to be fitted. Only a lazy man bends the exhaust to one side. Sorry if I've upset anyone with this comment.  :821: :158:
    HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

• Offline 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    970

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2019, 11.38 pm
    Nov 24, 2019, 11.38 pm
    I did speak to Triumph about this repair and asked if it was possible to TIG weld the exhaust whilst it was on the bike. The guy there said it was possible, but disconnect the ECU and battery to avoid "spiking" the electronics. I would feel more comfortable removing the header pipes and tacking any repair sleeve to them whilst on the bench. This is just to be "on the safe side" and avoids any very expensive problems

• Offline earthman   gb

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2019, 08.53 am
    Nov 25, 2019, 08.53 am
    *Originally Posted by HACKLE [+]
    Maybe I'm a bit slow [have been known to be], but I see this problem with the broken "tabs" on the exhaust pipe being the result of loosening the flange and bending the exhaust to one side to facilitate the removal of the rear wheel for tyre changes or other work. I under no circumstances just bend the exhaust to one side, I remove it carefully by turning left and right whilst gently pulling back on it. Have done this countless times for new tyres to be fitted. Only a lazy man bends the exhaust to one side. Sorry if I've upset anyone with this comment.  :821: :158:

Yes, I've always removed like you do but even with little side to side movements whilst pulling and twisting, it does make me wonder about those thin tabs.

• Offline earthman   gb

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2019, 08.57 am
    Nov 25, 2019, 08.57 am
    *Originally Posted by 1675 [+]
    I did speak to Triumph about this repair and asked if it was possible to TIG weld the exhaust whilst it was on the bike. The guy there said it was possible, but disconnect the ECU and battery to avoid "spiking" the electronics. I would feel more comfortable removing the header pipes and tacking any repair sleeve to them whilst on the bench. This is just to be "on the safe side" and avoids any very expensive problems

I totally agree about removal and welding on the bench, apart from an electrical spike issue, access for the actual welding isn't great whilst it's attached to the bike.