Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Here We Have Another Catastrophic Engine Failure with the 2013  (Read 10234 times)

• Offline TonyKinLA

• Trophy Member  ‐    12
    • Topic Author

Offline TonyKinLA

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • City / Town: Pasadena
    Here We Have Another Catastrophic Engine Failure with the 2013
    on: Dec 04, 2019, 04.31 am
    Dec 04, 2019, 04.31 am
    Greetings Riders!

Just a quick introduction. I have been riding many years and seen my fair share of failures with many marquises. Having come off BMW (with their unique issues) to Triumph I knew to look here first before purchasing...

This past March I purchased, from a certified dealer, a used 2013 Trophy SE. The price was right and I was happy with the process.
    I did however mention knowledge of the 2013's tick in the top end which was gathered from this fantastic online community resource.

They, wanting me to be completely happy- provided at no extra cost a full extended warranty from a top provider with the statement "Ride and enjoy worry free you are fully covered for a year!"

The bike had 40,679 miles on it at time of sale. Seemed like enough time to work out any potential gremlins but I did note the tick...

I have put a few thousand miles on it since purchase- noting it's different characteristics for other bikes in it's class. Overall very pleased.

Then December 2, 2019 happened.

I can ride all year long here in Los Angeles and do so happily. Yes, it's traffic riddled and I often spend miles tunneling between the seemingly endless lines of stopped and slow moving cages with distracted inattentive drivers. It's impossible to ride here without mastering the skill of the 'split' and on a wide/ huge bike like the Trophy that's saying something.

It was simply to be a quick run to pick up some supplies; just a 30 mile round trip jaunt...
    About half way to my destination on Interstate Highway 5 South in the area known as East Los Angeles I upshifted 4 to 5 with throttle to go and then BAM!
    That sinking feeling where you know this bike not going to go much further under it's own power. One wants to believe it's just a hiccup- a momentary blip in the power train. It will come back to full strength but we really all know better... This ride is over.

I kept forward momentum going to get as far as I could rolling on the shoulder and I am thankful this part of the Interstate had a shoulder!
    As rolling ceased I knew I had to get off the saddle and make a new plan. Thankfully there was a lull in the massive amount of traffic that will be on this highway in about an hour. I had no choice. Helmet in the top box- gloves off- jacket unzipped to get some air and start pushing the several hundred yards to the nearest off-ramp. Yes- pushing. Awkwardly striding, holding balance with the beast as the rubber mounted bars wiggle with every motion. It would not be difficult to stumble here. Dumping the bike into the speeding traffic. Again, thankful for the lull in the cars zipping by...

I made it off the highway- using the downward sloping ramp to gain enough roll to get onto a side street in this industrial part of my city.

I nested between a small truck and a larger one. As I started to make phone calls to figure out how I was to get out of this mess I realized that the larger truck or box van was a persons home. We have many people who live in their vehicles in Los Angeles, I'll leave it at that.
    So if I did need to leave the bike here I feel it would have been somewhat safe though clearly out of place for the area.

Getting a motorcycle towed in Los Angeles is difficult. Unless you have ultra premium coverage which includes motorcycles (must have top tier that also covers giant RV's or they just will charge you for the tow.)  The last time I tried to get a bike towed I was informed it would be 150 USD to go 12 miles. Not doing that.

I do have the extended warranty... So I called them and was told they will cover 50 dollars of the tow. Still leaving 100+ out of my pocket, not happy.

So I took a 24 dollar car service ride home. Got into My own car and went to the home center that rents out trucks and box vans for $19.99 for 75 minutes. Tie downs packed I rented the box van. It had the lowest loading point. Not really that low at around 3 feet to get something inside. However, I had a sheet of chipboard wood as a ramp! That snapped in half as soon as the bike got near it, of course. Now what...

One of the residents of the street saw my struggles and offered assistance; he found a thick plank of wood in a body shop area. I moved the bike up that driveway and repositioned the box van to sit at the lowest point to drop the back as much as possible. Now with the plank and this wonderful mans help we got the bike inside. I would not have been able to do this without him! He truly saved the day.

Got the Trophy back home, off loaded and returned the truck. Had it a little longer than 75 minutes. Total rental + 3 dollars in top up fuel- 34 dollars.

Now the phone calls begin to have the grenaded engine diagnosed and estimated for repair. There is a cap to the service amount the extended warranty will pay so I need to find the shop that can do this under that cap. I am quite fortunate to have several independent shops as well as a few dealers in a reasonable radius from my home. The dealership I purchased from is actually the farthest away. This is the moto driven culture of Los Angels after all... options exist!

What have others who have had this catastrophic failure experienced?

Crank- rod- piston- valve train- case... trashed?

Thanks for reading,
    Tony K in LA

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2732

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Re: Here We Have Another Catastrophic Engine Failure with the 2013
    Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2019, 05.25 am
    Dec 04, 2019, 05.25 am
    What happened to you is like a chronicle.

I do not quite understand what happened to your motorcycle to know what could happen to your motorcycle.
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07.32 am
    Dec 04, 2019, 07.32 am
    Like any cam driven 4 stroke engine, too many items in there that could fail really, sorry to hear that you have experienced a major failure, let us know what item they think let go first.

• Offline Novocastrian   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    652

Offline Novocastrian

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: TTSE
    • City / Town: Tynemouth
    Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2019, 08.52 am
    Dec 04, 2019, 08.52 am
    Have their really been "others" who have experienced this "catastrophic failure" ?  I'm not sure I've read of any.
    Ken Hastie
    TTSE, a handful of BSAs, a Vespa 300 and an MGB

• Offline Saddle Tramp   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1475

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
    • Here Today, Gone Tomorrow
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE - SOLD
    • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
    Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2019, 03.30 pm
    Dec 04, 2019, 03.30 pm
    Sorry to hear about your plight, TonyKinLA, but it surely could have been a lot worse if not for the knowledge that you gained on this Forum.

• Offline Ernest T   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1092

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Salado, Texas
    Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2019, 04.17 pm
    Dec 04, 2019, 04.17 pm
    *Originally Posted by Novocastrian [+]
    Have their really been "others" who have experienced this "catastrophic failure" ?  I'm not sure I've read of any.

Yes, there have been several reported here.  I don't think there are huge numbers of Trophies or Tigers blowing up, but it does happen.

Here's one:

https://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/topic,3165.0.html

Here's another:

https://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/topic,6337.0.html

Do a search, you can find them. 

Last Edit: Dec 04, 2019, 04.27 pm by Ernest T

• Offline TonyKinLA

• Trophy Member  ‐    12
    • Topic Author

Offline TonyKinLA

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • City / Town: Pasadena
    Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2019, 05.53 pm
    Dec 04, 2019, 05.53 pm
    In addendum my VIN is below the 58k number in production which applies to the "TSB 154, Excessive Top End Engine Noise - Valve Guides and Chain Tensioner"

That will be presented to repair shops as added information to pursue.

Tony

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2732

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07.04 pm
    Dec 04, 2019, 07.04 pm
    I changed the cylinder head with 90,000 km, I changed it because I found an offer of 600 euros totally new and with all the necessary gaskets.

I never had any problem, I changed it because it was from 2012 and it made a lot of noise, but as I say, I never had broken or crooked valve problems.

I know some Trophy and Explorer from here, Spain that broke valves and some were crooked ...

But be careful! I will add, that happened to them after passing the review of the 32,000 km and soon the valves skip. This means that the official services do not do their job well ...
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.