Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: cam chain noise.... perplexed  (Read 1476 times)

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Re: cam chain noise.... perplexed
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2020, 10:26:14 AM »
Personally I've never heard of a tight spot in a cam chain before,....how does that suddenly happen? Unlike an exposed chain driven bike for example, these chains constantly have oil thrown at them and don't need such regular adjustment done by the owner.

Going by what other owners have reported on here, the Trophy doesn't seem to like running on high octane fuel period, apart from the extra cost, I've steered away from using it.

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2020, 03:49:20 PM »
Why have you you been using 98 RON, Highest Octane rating fuel ?

I can't confirm it's the same for the Australian Market, but in the UK - 91 RON is specified.
( Take a look at Page 67 of your Owners Handbook ).

Many people are fooled by the hype of TV and Forecourt advertisements
that somehow the Higher Octane "Premium" fuels are better for your engine,
and this is not ( necessarily ) so !

The Octane rating is an indication of the compression that is needed before the fuel will auto-ignite.

The higher the Octane number, the higher the compression that is needed,
so higher Octane rating fuels are used in higher performance, higher compression engines.

Engine manufacturers specify the fuel to use,
according to the compression and design of the engine,
and it is wise to go with their recommendations.

If you use a higher than recommended Octane rating,
it is likely that the fuel will not combust as efficiently,
as it will not be reaching the optimum compression before ignition,
and can be a reason for carbon deposits building up.

Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
  • City / Town: Trafalgar
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2020, 11:05:10 PM »
I agree with what Coconut says regarding fuel to use. 98 RON is only wasting money. 91 is more than adequate, with a tank of 95 occasionally. As per my last ride report from Saturday last, using 91 RON I got 4.7 litres per 100 kilometres for the 1261 km. day. Good as far as I'm concerned.  :028: :028:
HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

Offline pohm66

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE
  • City / Town: Brisbane
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 07:47:11 AM »
Totally agree with you guys.... Probably just habit as when the price difference between the different RONs was less I got better bang for my buck.... As in more k's per tank on the higher RON or less cents per kilometer, also my previous bikes were 98 preferred.

Happened to pop into the Triumph dealer today to get a new bike cover and had a chat with the head mechanic, asking more about the piston slap. He mentioned that they have seen several Trophy's and Explorers with similar symptoms and explained he had measured pistons slightly out of perfectly round so slapping inside the sleeve until the heat synch tightened everything up. He also said the the piston rings and sleeves always seemed to be in good condition. Riders here are either 1) getting new pistons etc, 2) just excepting it as an idiosyncrasy or 3) getting an after market exhaust to muffler the rattle. His opinion is piston slap over carbon build up as the last valve adjustment service and inspection would have have flagged something. They also rev the bikesto almost redline post service and warm up to highlight any issues. My bike blows no smoke so assumes valves are sitting and working well...

There are no TSBs for this in Australia. Compared to America, UK and Germany we are extremely light on here with TSBs. :-(  :009:

Looks like I'm sticking to the lower octane and giving it more revs more often to minimise carbon and sucking it 'til the budget allows a more permanent remedy.

Thanks for the ear and insight...

Paul
'14 Pacific Blue TTSE
Previous Trumpy's
   94 Speed Triple
   69 Trophy Custom in rigid frame (built not bought)

Online Ebenezer

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 TT Lunar Silver
  • City / Town: Apeldoorn
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2020, 09:34:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by pohm66 [+]

There are no TSBs for this in Australia. Compared to America, UK and Germany we are extremely light on here with TSBs. :-(  :009:

Thanks for the ear and insight...
[/quote

Which TSBs in Germany were you  thinking of?

Henk

Offline pohm66

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE
  • City / Town: Brisbane
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2020, 05:08:11 AM »
Guten Tag guys.

Nothing spooky just that when I saw the listing of the TSBs for ALL Triumphs it showed country flags next to them for the Countries it applied to and being ein Englander and studied German for 4 years the German flag jumped out as well as the other 2.

Just wanted to highlight the frustration that manufacturers can dictate a fix to a known problem for some countries but not others.

Tschüss

Paul
Paul
'14 Pacific Blue TTSE
Previous Trumpy's
   94 Speed Triple
   69 Trophy Custom in rigid frame (built not bought)

Offline bobv07662

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Rochelle Park, NJ
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2020, 03:48:15 AM »
Just my 2 cents on the fuel issue. Big Blue kackles a bit on USA regular grade, I find no issues when using mid-grade. :047:
1978 Bonneville 1973 Trophy Trail TR5T
2012 Thruxton   1976 Hodaka ED250
2014 Trophy SE
1976 Yamaha RD400C
1978 Yamaha DT400E

tweedy-bunch