Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Are you alarmed?  (Read 6397 times)

Offline TrophyTim

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: West Yorkshire
Are you alarmed?
« on: August 10, 2013, 09:02:20 pm »
Do any members have views on the optional Trophy alarm? Specifying one knocks around a tenner off my annual insurance premium - therefore saving me £30 over my predicted three year ownership of the bike. However, the cost of the unit far outweighs this, adding £270 to my bill. The bike has a standard-fit immobiliser, so do other members see any value in an alarm? Would my money be better invested in an insurance add-on that pays out my total investment in the case of theft, etc? Thanks.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: Are you alarmed?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 09:13:43 pm »
I didn't bother with the alarm..... have never bothered with an alarm on a bike. As you say..... insurance savings do not justify the cost, the alarm saps the battery and nobody pays any attention to an alarm going off anyway! The immobiliser is what will stop them taking off with the bike and you get that as standard!

Save your money is my advice
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 10:08:59 pm »
*Originally Posted by TrophyTim [+]
Do any members have views on the optional Trophy alarm? Specifying one knocks around a tenner off my annual insurance premium - therefore saving me £30 over my predicted three year ownership of the bike. However, the cost of the unit far outweighs this, adding £270 to my bill. The bike has a standard-fit immobiliser, so do other members see any value in an alarm? Would my money be better invested in an insurance add-on that pays out my total investment in the case of theft, etc? Thanks.

Save ya money  :005: :005: Gap  insurance  £450 for 3 years  :087: :087: Didn't know I'd bought it until they gave me the new bike and it wasn't transferrable. Cheque should be in post back to me  :028: Dealer told me to bring the cheque in and they will sort out again on new bike "DON"T THINK SO"
Better in the bank for Spain trip me thinks  :062: :062:

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 10:42:58 pm »
Had an alarm on the MV which just sent the battery flat until one day the alarm just turned the bike off and would not let it start.  I easily disconnected it and took it off which is supposed to be difficult?  I would not bother.  I do like the fact that the TT has an immobilser but of course makes the key expensive.  I did get a non NFC key cut (based on a Volvo key I was told) somwe could use it for top box and panniers whilst on holiday.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 11:37:01 pm »
I didn't go for the Triumph alarm. Instead I have a disc brake alarm that  immobilizes the bike and sounds a piercing shriek if disturbed.  It costs about $60, is transferable from bike to bike, has its own internal power source so does not drain the bike battery and qualifies (at least here) for the alarm discount.   I sleep better at a hotel knowing that it is on the bike
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline miss

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se
  • City / Town: madrid
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 03:27:38 am »
this weekend I install a two-way spy alarm, the alarm alerts you to the remote control, said hehe reach 5000m, 1000m Real, a high third floor arrives, but with a hidden switch, so that in caa not exhaust the battery

http://www.instructables.com/id/Installing-a-SPY-5000-two-way-motorcycle-alarm-int/

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 06:26:03 am »
Miss that is an interesting set up.  Very interesting.  Did you find the install to be difficult?  How would you rate the difficulty 1-10 with 10 being extremely difficult.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 06:43:45 am »
 I design trackers somhave trackers on the bikes.  It charges up when running and runs on internal battery when not.  Another by product is that I can review the route afterwards.  I am interested in the proximity one miss is talking about.  I have just designed one but for a closer distance.

tweedy-bunch