Triumph Trophy

Main Trophy Boards => Triumph Trophy - General Chat => Topic started by: Cross471 on September 27, 2021, 10:35:26 pm

Title: 3 weeks in
Post by: Cross471 on September 27, 2021, 10:35:26 pm
I started riding in 1990 on an British Army Armstrong 500.  The first bike I owned was a CZ 350…. Interesting Eastern Block machine that served me well and no self respecting thief  would steal it.  I haven’t owned too many other bikes; a Honda vF 750, a VFR, a Firestorm and an SP1..  I had a break of About 12 years before I picked up my Trophy about 3 weeks ago - no point in easing myself back in slowly!

First few thoughts of the Trophy…

1.  Oh my - she’s a big ole girl
2. Oh my - she’s a big ole girl
3. If I stop and not ready…. She’s a big ole girl. 
4.  I need some leg workouts so I don’t lay her down in the gravel
5.  Getting her on the centre stand is a knack (nearly got it)
6.  Seat is really comfy.
7.  I need to do some yoga coz she is soooo wide.
8.  I ride like a policeman..  (just a thought as I’m not that proficient)
9. Today was the first ride I had that I wasn’t crapping myself.
10.  The screen is awesome.
11. The heated grip are awesome.
12.  AMG mercs aren’t as quick off the line as a Trophy..
13.  She is a big ole girl but falling for her charms.


What do you love about yours?

Title: Re: 3 weeks in
Post by: digital on September 27, 2021, 10:49:53 pm
 :008:  :008:  :047: :047: :047:
Title: Re: 3 weeks in
Post by: fluxxcomp on September 28, 2021, 12:20:32 am
Hi There! Greetings from the Bay Area.

Welcome to the club... !  :401:

 :005: you rode JAWA CZ 350 ?? 2cyl2Stroke ??  :020: You are a hero. (I started out on MZ 250 in East Germany 1983)
Yes the big ol Lady wants to be held. I recommend the TRALEX crash bars, both front and back. saves on the paint job...

Cheers & Welcom
Title: Re: 3 weeks in
Post by: trophied on September 28, 2021, 12:28:34 am
 :400: to the forum!  That's the blue ribbon introduction of the forum! :745: :046:  Glad you're enjoying it.  A friend in high school in the sixties had a 175 Zundapp that you just couldn't kill.  I thought THAT was heavy.  My how times change! :821:  You might want to step over to the New Members section and officially introduce yourself to the crew here.
Title: Re: 3 weeks in
Post by: Cross471 on September 28, 2021, 06:33:08 am
*Originally Posted by trophied [+]
:400: to the forum!  That's the blue ribbon introduction of the forum! :745: :046:  Glad you're enjoying it.  A friend in high school in the sixties had a 175 Zundapp that you just couldn't kill.  I thought THAT was heavy.  My how times change! :821:  You might want to step over to the New Members section and officially introduce yourself to the crew here.


Thanks.  Already been on the new members and done the intro thing.  Just thought I’d update peeps on progress.
Title: Re: 3 weeks in
Post by: Cross471 on September 28, 2021, 06:38:24 am
*Originally Posted by fluxxcomp [+]
Hi There! Greetings from the Bay Area.

Welcome to the club... !  :401:

 :005: you rode JAWA CZ 350 ?? 2cyl2Stroke ??  :020: You are a hero. (I started out on MZ 250 in East Germany 1983)
Yes the big ol Lady wants to be held. I recommend the TRALEX crash bars, both front and back. saves on the paint job...

Cheers & Welcom


I was indeed a Jawa…. Flip the gear lever over to kick start, clean the oil out of the exhaust every 6 months, set the timing, add some self mix fuel and off ya go.  I ran it for a couple of years in South London before I lost 2 and 3 gear somewhere near Greenwich.  I’ll take a look at the trailer bars.  Thnx
Title: Re: 3 weeks in
Post by: Coconut on September 28, 2021, 08:38:15 am
Hi Cross471,

You may have already spotted it, but there's a Topic dedicated to
putting the Trophy on the Centre Stand, complete with Video here :

HOW TO: Put the Trophy onto the Centre / Center Stand ! (https://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/topic,7445.48.html)

It's all about the technique, but be aware that if the Rear Suspension is ever lowered,
by fitting different Drop Links, then it can be even harder to get it onto the Centre Stand !

The task can be made easier in the garage by riding up onto a small block of wood
so there is less height to overcome. ( Some Members carry an Off cut or two in the Top Case ! ).

I think you may have also noticed that the Trophy is quite a heavy bike !  :008:

This is especially so at very slow speeds and when stopped,
and you should always choose where to stop by looking at the surface
where you will plant your foot / feet, and the camber / slope of the surface -
avoiding loose gravel, white road paint, tar snakes, drain covers, wet patches,
spilt oil / fuel patches, etc etc to make sure your foot / feet have a good grip,
and that if for example, the road slopes away to the left where you intend to stop
you plan to put your right foot down first, and vice versa.

..... or better still - don't stop !   :156:

Cheers  :821:

(https://cdn.img.triumph-trophy.com/Forum-Main-Avatar.gif)

 
 
Title: Re: 3 weeks in
Post by: GarminDave on September 28, 2021, 10:18:26 am
Good summary, yes she is big but I have long levers at 6'3" (1.91m), which helps but at var nigh 71 I'm starting to notice her weight.

I too rode an Armstrong 500cc, I called it my "Hedge Seeking Missile", I always said I would not ride it further than I could push it.  If the Trophy has a knack for getting it onto the centre stand then the Armstrong certainly had a knack for starting it.

Enjoy your trophy and enjoy this forum.
Title: Re: 3 weeks in
Post by: wjenkins229 on October 07, 2021, 10:49:17 pm
*Originally Posted by Cross471 [+]

What do you love about yours?

Coming off a 30 year old Goldwing one of my favourite things is the power wind shield.  I love the opportunity to be "open air" when off the highway and the quiet ride at highway speeds with the wind screen lifted.   Still trying to get used to the sound of the three cylinders though.  Sounds a bit "tinny".
Title: Re: 3 weeks in
Post by: trophied on October 08, 2021, 02:10:59 am
I always wondered why Honda could give the ST1300 a power windshield and no cruise control and give the Gold Wing all the comforts AND cruise control, but NO power windshield.  HUH!!!! :187:
Title: Re: 3 weeks in
Post by: Saddle Tramp on October 08, 2021, 01:21:19 pm
*Originally Posted by trophied [+]
I always wondered why Honda could give the ST1300 a power windshield and no cruise control and give the Gold Wing all the comforts AND cruise control, but NO power windshield.  HUH!!!! :187:

I asked a Honda Rep that question years ago, and he said that Honda asked Gold Wing Owners what they felt about adding that option, and most were ambivalent because they always rode with the windscreen in the highest position in order to protect their passengers from wind blast on their shoulders. Passenger seating was higher than the operator’s to give them a better view of the road.
Title: Re: 3 weeks in
Post by: Saddle Tramp on October 08, 2021, 01:23:13 pm
*Originally Posted by wjenkins229 [+]
Coming off a 30 year old Goldwing one of my favourite things is the power wind shield.  I love the opportunity to be "open air" when off the highway and the quiet ride at highway speeds with the wind screen lifted.   Still trying to get used to the sound of the three cylinders though.  Sounds a bit "tinny".

There are aftermarket exhausts out there that solve that problem, without being obnoxiously loud...
Title: Re: 3 weeks in
Post by: geoffyboy on October 08, 2021, 02:37:04 pm
Hi Cross 471 .....following on from Coconuts' advice I would just say that when manoeuvring at low speed whether feet down or not ,,,,don't ...just DON'T be tempted to lean the bike more than 1 degree from vertical (as you might with a lighter / lower bike) as if it stalls or you suddenly have to brake ....you will probably go down "like a sack of spuds".  :005:
On a happier note love South Wales - my wife and I had a really fun day last year at Barry Island (Gavin & Stacey fans) and once walked the beautiful Gower coast from Mumbles Head to Rhossili - oh how I appreciated being offered a choice of wine, when we eventually staggered into our hotel bar, requiring me to walk yet another 6 whole paces each way to check with SWMBO.  :172: Why can't she drink beer?
Enjoy the bike - I still love riding mine now as much as when I first bought her 6yrs ago.  :152:   
Title: Re: 3 weeks in
Post by: 1675 on October 09, 2021, 09:37:44 am
Your first 7 observations perfectly described my wife!
Welcome to the group.
Yes, it is a top heavy bike, just take it easy and try not to get caught out when coming to a stop.
Title: Re: 3 weeks in
Post by: Cross471 on October 09, 2021, 10:36:16 am
*Originally Posted by geoffyboy [+]
Hi Cross 471 .....following on from Coconuts' advice I would just say that when manoeuvring at low speed whether feet down or not ,,,,don't ...just DON'T be tempted to lean the bike more than 1 degree from vertical (as you might with a lighter / lower bike) as if it stalls or you suddenly have to brake ....you will probably go down "like a sack of spuds".  :005:
On a happier note love South Wales - my wife and I had a really fun day last year at Barry Island (Gavin & Stacey fans) and once walked the beautiful Gower coast from Mumbles Head to Rhossili - oh how I appreciated being offered a choice of wine, when we eventually staggered into our hotel bar, requiring me to walk yet another 6 whole paces each way to check with SWMBO.  :172: Why can't she drink beer?


Enjoy the bike - I still love riding mine now as much as when I first bought her 6yrs ago.  :152:   

Slow speed stuff gets me a bit nervous.. I try to ride as vertical as possible; I made the mistake of stopping on a tiny slope and leaned the bike a bit.  The next 10 seconds were Where I had to find some hidden strength in my leg leg…. Not going to lie it was a bit emotional… one thing I have found is that I am planning every move way…. Way in advance:

1. Will I have to stop?
2. Is it on a camber?
3. Which way is the camber?
4.  Back brake to stop and keep off the super sharp fronts (EBv brand new discs and pads)
5. Back brake for slow speed manoeuvres.
6.  Say a thank you to the bike gods when things go ok.

However, once she is moving she’s a joy to be on..

Title: Re: 3 weeks in
Post by: Maca on October 12, 2021, 04:13:01 pm
I've not had my Trophy long, just a few months and also came off the back of a long stint off bikes.  I also noticed the size and weight and it can be intimidating but the more times you get on it the more you start to feel its not that bad.  Then I had a real "moment" recently when I suddenly realised that intimidation was gone and the extra confidence made me feel like I was working with the bike not against it. 

Word of warning, the closest I've coming to dropping it was taking it off the centre stand and the left panier hit my leg tipping the bike away from me, I touched cloth hanging on to it and dragging it back upright before it fell to the ground thankfully but it was close.
Title: Re: 3 weeks in
Post by: Cross471 on October 13, 2021, 10:47:23 pm
*Originally Posted by Maca [+]
I've not had my Trophy long, just a few months and also came off the back of a long stint off bikes.  I also noticed the size and weight and it can be intimidating but the more times you get on it the more you start to feel its not that bad.  Then I had a real "moment" recently when I suddenly realised that intimidation was gone and the extra confidence made me feel like I was working with the bike not against it. 

Word of warning, the closest I've coming to dropping it was taking it off the centre stand and the left panier hit my leg tipping the bike away from me, I touched cloth hanging on to it and dragging it back upright before it fell to the ground thankfully but it was close.

I so get your touching cloth metaphor..
Title: Re: 3 weeks in
Post by: sin_tiger on October 13, 2021, 11:32:40 pm
*Originally Posted by Maca [+]
tipping the bike away from me, I touched cloth hanging on to it

Ex Navy by any chance  :038:
Title: Re: 3 weeks in
Post by: RocketSteve on October 14, 2021, 08:55:01 am
Would ex-Navy terminology be - "Turtle popped his head out!" :001:
Title: Re: 3 weeks in
Post by: Cross471 on October 14, 2021, 12:05:25 pm
*Originally Posted by sin_tiger [+]
Ex Navy by any chance  :038:

'Touching cloth' is most definitely an Army term...  That's why I got it LOL
Title: Re: 3 weeks in
Post by: sin_tiger on October 15, 2021, 02:03:12 am
Both were in common usage in my career, much to my wife's disgust  :192:

Back OT
Contrary as it might seem, depending on the situation / surface, I've found I can balance the bike better standing on the pegs as in trials bikes.