Triumph Trophy

Main Trophy Boards => Audio, Sat Nav, and Intercom => Topic started by: Chris C. on May 25, 2019, 10:59:38 PM

Title: Radio apparently dead - possible to restore USB power?
Post by: Chris C. on May 25, 2019, 10:59:38 PM
After several years of giving the "radio not found" message more and more frequently, I think my radio finally kicked the bucket.  I already tried a new battery, new fuse, and checking the connections under the tray under the seat.  Not a big crisis because I can Bluetooth my iPod to the Cardo device on my helmet, but what stinks is my USB connection in the glove box is dead too and won't charge it on a trip.  Any ideas on how to get power back to the USB port without buying a new radio or doing major surgery on the bike?
Title: Re: Radio apparently dead - possible to restore USB power?
Post by: DonTom on May 26, 2019, 01:15:50 AM
*Originally Posted by Chris C. [+]
After several years of giving the "radio not found" message more and more frequently, I think my radio finally kicked the bucket.  I already tried a new battery, new fuse, and checking the connections under the tray under the seat.  Not a big crisis because I can Bluetooth my iPod to the Cardo device on my helmet, but what stinks is my USB connection in the glove box is dead too and won't charge it on a trip.  Any ideas on how to get power back to the USB port without buying a new radio or doing major surgery on the bike?
There are many ways to do such. Wire in your own with a  12 VDC to USB converter.  (https://www.amazon.com/HOMREE-Converter-Voltage-Regulator-Standard/dp/B01MEF293V/ref=sr_1_6?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_oa12fK34gIVg9lkCh12wQpUEAAYASAAEgJrmPD_BwE&hvadid=241896142926&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9030872&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=3712642508958191628&hvtargid=kwd-11930990839&hydadcr=24632_10399690&keywords=12+volt+to+usb+adapter&qid=1558829056&s=gateway&sr=8-6) Or use a 12 volt port to USB (https://www.lifewire.com/finding-the-right-12v-usb-adapter-534755). But then you may have to convert from British to USA 12 VDC adapter (https://touratech-usa.com/Store/BMW-Motorcycle-Plug-to-Cigarette-Lighter-Adapter?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv63U0fS34gIVFsNkCh13WgYrEAQYASABEgJk0fD_BwE) depending on which 12 volt adapter you want to use. The one in the travel trunk is a USA type.

The "12VDC to USB" adapter  shown above can be found for one dollar in most Dollar Tree stores in the USA--or the 99 cent store. Very cheap fix, if all you need to do is charge.

-Don-  Reno, NV
Title: Re: Radio apparently dead - possible to restore USB power?
Post by: DonTom on May 26, 2019, 01:22:56 AM
*Originally Posted by Chris C. [+]
After several years of giving the "radio not found" message more and more frequently, I think my radio finally kicked the bucket. 
See this thread  (https://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/topic,1208.0.html)and perhaps many others.

-Don-  Reno, NV
Title: Re: Radio apparently dead - possible to restore USB power?
Post by: earthman on May 26, 2019, 06:32:34 AM
I'd like to find a cure for the 'Device not found' message/problem one day,....I've wondered if it's the live feed or the data connections? Whichever it is, it seems that it's from within the radio itself rather than the bike's battery actually being low or the alternator etc.
Title: Re: Radio apparently dead - possible to restore USB power?
Post by: DonTom on May 26, 2019, 08:00:33 AM
*Originally Posted by earthman [+]
I'd like to find a cure for the 'Device not found' message/problem one day,....I've wondered if it's the live feed or the data connections? Whichever it is, it seems that it's from within the radio itself rather than the bike's battery actually being low or the alternator etc.
I consider it a "bug". A rather minor one that we should be able to  live with, IMO.

-Don-  Reno, NV
Title: Re: Radio apparently dead - possible to restore USB power?
Post by: earthman on May 26, 2019, 06:30:13 PM
*Originally Posted by DonTom [+]
I consider it a "bug". A rather minor one that we should be able to  live with, IMO.

-Don-  Reno, NV

Depends on how often you want to listen to your music rather than the radio I guess,....95% of the time I tend to go for what's on my USB stick so having to open that fairing pocket and fiddly about with the stick becomes a royal pain in the butt so it's certainly not a 'minor' one in my case.

 
Title: Re: Radio apparently dead - possible to restore USB power?
Post by: DonTom on May 26, 2019, 06:55:14 PM
*Originally Posted by earthman [+]
Depends on how often you want to listen to your music rather than the radio I guess,....95% of the time I tend to go for what's on my USB stick so having to open that fairing pocket and fiddly about with the stick becomes a royal pain in the butt so it's certainly not a 'minor' one in my case.
Use a short USB extension cable. (https://www.showmecables.com/usb-2-a-male-a-female-passive-extension-cable-6-inches?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI87iuzeG54gIVEyCtBh1PywjnEAQYAiABEgIiePD_BwE)


-Don-  Reno, NV
Title: Re: Radio apparently dead - possible to restore USB power?
Post by: Coconut on May 26, 2019, 07:44:11 PM
Hi Chris.C,

To answer your original question :

Any ideas on how to get power back to the USB port
without buying a new radio or doing major surgery on the bike?

That would be tricky, as the wiring for the USB Port ( and it's Power Supply ),
come from the main Audio Unit, and the USB socket is complete with
a moulded plastic fitting that latches into place on the Glove Box housing. 
( I have not been able to find a supplier for that type of moulded fitting ).

The Radio Manufacturers ( Radio Sound Inc, Louisville, Kentucky, U.S. (https://www.radiosound.com/contact.htmlhttps://www.radiosound.com/contact.html) ) do offer a repair facility,
where you send your Radio to them and get a reconditioned one back quite quickly.
The last I heard that price of that service was US $220.00, which although not "cheap",
is a lot less than a complete new Radio.

If you can live without the Radio and just want to restore a USB Powered connection in the Glove Box,
for Charging purposes, you can change the 12V Cigar Socket type adapter for a device having a USB Port.
I did this on my Trophy, replacing it with a Digital Voltmeter having a USB port.  See this Topic :

Changed the Stock Glove Box Power Socket for Voltmeter with USB Port. (https://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/topic,7472.8.html)

Cheers  :821:

(https://cdn.img.triumph-trophy.com/Forum-Main-Avatar.gif)
Title: Re: Radio apparently dead - possible to restore USB power?
Post by: earthman on May 26, 2019, 08:48:50 PM
*Originally Posted by DonTom [+]
Use a short USB extension cable. (https://www.showmecables.com/usb-2-a-male-a-female-passive-extension-cable-6-inches?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI87iuzeG54gIVEyCtBh1PywjnEAQYAiABEgIiePD_BwE)


-Don-  Reno, NV

I can't see how that would help much really, I'd still have to open the pocket and disconnect/reconnect the USB stick every time.
Title: Re: Radio apparently dead - possible to restore USB power?
Post by: dietDrThunder on May 28, 2019, 09:46:30 PM
I wanted USB power to 2 devices while saving my usb port for a thumb drive, so I bought a plug-in 24W USB adapter on Amazon, and plugged it into the 12VDC plug. It vibrated out once, after about 1500 miles, so I put a small dab of silicone on it and re-inserted; it's been in there for about 6000 trouble-free miles now.



Anker 12VDC USB adapter

If you want to go this route, don't just get any old adapter, as many are wimpy in the amperage department. THis particular one supplies the full 2.4A on both plugs (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY9ZGHH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1&pldnSite=1[/url)
Title: Re: Radio apparently dead - possible to restore USB power?
Post by: earthman on May 28, 2019, 10:00:23 PM
*Originally Posted by dietDrThunder [+]

Anker 12VDC USB adapter

If you want to go this route, don't just get any old adapter, as many are wimpy in the amperage department. THis particular one supplies the full 2.4A on both plugs

A good quality one too,.....I've not personally experienced any of what this guy's talking about but I guess that it's all possible with vehicles that have complex electronics.

Title: Re: Radio apparently dead - possible to restore USB power?
Post by: Chris C. on June 02, 2019, 12:38:06 AM
Thank you all for the suggestions, very much appreciated!