Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Topics - HACKLE

Pages: [1] 2
Ride Reports and Touring / Wife's first 1000 kilometre day.
« on: October 16, 2018, 01:28:55 AM »
     Saturday last was the last FarRide on the east coast in Australia for 2018. At the start of the year when the years rides became available my wife [Elwyn] said she might do this with me [pillion].
      We had discussed this at length and decided that the normal start time of midday on Friday wouldn't work as she doesn't finish work till 3 pm. She also added that we still had to ride home from the finish/luncheon venue, the small fishing town of Eden on the south/east coast of New South Wales. So we might just as well do the whole ride on the Saturday, up and back. 1000 kms. in the day.
       Up early [4.45 am] we had our starting docket, from the local ATM, at 5.45 am. My plan was to give Elwyn adequate rest stops both ways. The first stage was 160 kms. to our first rest/fuel stop in Bairnsdale. Via the Princes Hwy. and a couple of minor roads we arrived 15 minutes prior to my ride plan. All good. We had been joined by another couple who live about 25 kms. from us.
        With the extra time up our sleeve I stuck to the schedule leaving at 8 am. Now with 170 kms. to Cann River via the twisty Princes Hwy. again we picked up 15 mins. The final 110 kms. to Eden had us arriving at about 11.15 am., 15 mins. prior to book-in time opening. The Victorian part was in glorious sunshine but 30 kms. into NSW we had to contend with rain. I was glad I'd fitted new Michelin PR4 GT's on the Monday prior.  Half the ride completed, now the interesting/hard part, the longer return home. We left Eden at 12.45 pm. for the afternoon's ride.
         Because of the extra kms. to be done on the return, the route had us leaving the Princes Hwy. and heading to the coast to Cape Conran then Marlo before rejoining the Princes Hwy at Orbost. We'd already had a rest stop at Cann River and the next one was once again at Bairnsdale for fuel/rest/snack break.
         The Bengworden Rd. led us out of Bairnsdale [we'd ridden this road on the morning stage] before Elwyn and myself bade goodbye to our friends and continued south into Sale and  joined the South Gippsland Hwy. This road goes through a lot of forest and pine tree plantations, favourite areas to encounter kangaroos. Thankfully it was still daylight and none were seen.
         I stopped at the tiny town- garage, hotel and a few houses- of Woodside to give Elwyn a chance to stretch her legs and get a bit of "circulation" flowing through her backside.  Also an ice-cream was enjoyed as a sugar fix.
         From Woodside we only had about 130 kms. to our finish. As the light was fading I was concerned about wildlife between here and Loy Yang Power Station as the road passes through more bush and plantations. No problems apart from the setting sun for the westerly run up to Loy Yang. I hate riding into the setting sun, even with the tinted visor down on my Shoei Neo-Tech helmet.
         Rejoining the Princes Freeway at Morwell put us back into the 110 kilometre per hour zone [Australia'n highways are 100 kph. unless otherwise posted]. The problem of distance for the ride now reared it's ugly head. FarRides are a minimum of 1000 kms. and we would have to ride past home-Trafalgar- to get the distance.
         So waving goodbye to home we continued westerly to Warragul before retuning home. The finishing distance being 1004 kms. Enough to be recorded as a FarRide. I was extremely proud of the good wife, having sat behind me on the normal heated Trophy saddle [she doesn't want it altered or an AirHawk fitted] without complaining [not much anyway] for her first 1000 kms. day.  :821: :158:

Time Out - General Chat / Recharging.
« on: January 03, 2018, 12:00:52 PM »
Recharging. No not the bike, but me. Went for an easy 2 days riding in the high country of Victoria. Basically 1155 kms. of pretty well over 75 per cent of nothing but twisty roads. For those that might be interested. Started at home in Trafalgar at 5 am. yesterday and headed east on the Princes Hwy. [only real straight bit] to my old hometown of Bairnsdale.
  Then turned north into the mountains to Omeo [fuel], Anglers Rest. Glen Wills, Mitta Mitta and stopped for lunch at the Dartmouth Hotel. I have organised a FarRide [Australian long distance riding group] to this establishment for the 17th. February and I wanted to meet with the publican.
  From Dartmouth it was continuing on the Omeo Hwy. before right onto the Murray Valley Hwy. and into Corryong for night. About 550 kms. for the day. Nice and easy, recharging started.
  Leaving Corryong this morning I'd planned on more of the same as yesterday, bend on bend on bend. West on the Murray Valley Hwy. before left onto the Upper Gundowring Rd. and south down the east side of the Keiwa River. This road never fails to put a smile on my dial, sorry, face.
   A right at Gundowring then crossing the Keiwa River before a left onto the Keiwa Valley Hwy. before a right onto the Dederang - Yackandandah Rd. Following the power lines uphill it's like an uphill roller coaster ride, great. At the top it was left onto the Tunnel Gap Rd. for the run down through Mudgegonga and into Myrtleford.
   West onto the Great Alpine Rd. before left onto the Snow Rd. and on through Milawa [Brown Brothers Winery home town], Oxley before another left onto the Wangaratta - Whitfield Rd., passing Docker, Moyhu, Edi, King Valley [home to some great cool climate wineries], and finally Whitfield.
    A quick break to let the wife know my whereabouts and I was back into the sinuous uphill smooth bitumen to Tolmie before plunging down the southern side into the bustling holiday town of Mansfield.
    I'd planned on stopping for a quick bite to eat. But I did say it was bustling, maybe I should have said bursting. It was absolutely heaving with holiday makers, so there was no stopping for a sandwich. Out of town on the Maroondah Hwy. before left to Alexandra. Again I considered stopping to ward of the hunger pains but Alexandra was as bad as Mansfield.
   Now I was in get home mode and avoid the holiday traffic as best as I could. South to Healesville before gliding past more Yarra Valley wineries and onto Woori Yallock, Cockatoo, Gembrook, Packenham before turning onto the Old Sale Rd. [my favourite in this area] and on home through Robin Hood, Brandy Creek, Buln Buln, and finally home to Trafalgar.
   Top up the tank and trickle the 1.5 kms. home from the servo. The total for the two days was 1155 kms. Easy, enjoyable, and most of all, my batteries are now fully charged. Oh by the way, I haven't had my seat altered yet, and only need my Airhawk lightly inflated to get me through all my riding, whether it be easy two day jaunts, or longer multi days on the clock.
    Trusting that other members have the same ability to sharpen up their batteries in a  similar way  :821: :158:


Time Out - General Chat / Happy New Year
« on: December 31, 2017, 10:27:18 PM »
I wish every Forum member all the very best for 2018. May your riding always have sunny weather, the wind on your back and above all a safe return home to a welcoming cold lager.  :821: :158:

Triumph Trophy - General Chat / Xmas/New Year Greetings.
« on: December 25, 2017, 03:45:56 AM »
Myself and my wife would like to wish all our Forum friends the heartiest good wishes for Xmas and the New Year. :821: :821: Ride with care over the festive season and we look forward to more fun in 2018.  :821: :158:

Time Out - General Chat / Commiserations to all English members.
« on: December 04, 2017, 10:17:18 PM »
It was a brutal game, low scoring, only one try and convert, rugged defence, flashes of brilliance, a happy and sad ending, an intense final assault by a desperate English team. It was  an incredible game with only one team victorious.  Commiserations to all English members.  :821: :158:

On Two Wheels - Bikers Chat / Moving home
« on: November 07, 2017, 11:37:21 PM »
Two days left living in Bairnsdale. Coconut might have something to say about this move. My wife and myself are getting back together after being separated for three years. I am moving out on this Friday and moving in with the wife for two days before we both move into our "new" [2 years old] home in Trafalgar. A bit closer to Melbourne for me and a little further for Elwyn. Actually can't wait for Friday to arrive. Will miss [a little] living in what's known as "the Riviera of Victoria", known for its mild weather. We are very lucky here in Australia in that with the correct clothing we are able to ride year round. Don't know what it's like to park the bike up over winter, but then Warm and Safe Heated clothing certainly helps. Anyway, best get on with finishing the last of my packing. To any local [Australian] riders passing through Trafalgar the welcome door is always open.  :821: :158:

I have been thinking about this for a while now. In July on the way back from Hervey Bay [FarRide] my wife and I stayed at the Top Pub in Uralla [south of Armidale on the New England Hwy.]. The rooms are at the rear of the hotel and for the one night cost $80.00. Room was good with its own en suite attached. Good value.
  The dining room, which served excellent food, was only a very short [30m] walk away. The Pub doesn't do breakfast but there is a good selection of cafes in town.
  I'm proposing this get together to take place on Saturday 18th. November 2017. If your interested would you please PM me so that I have an idea of numbers. With numbers I can then make arrangements with the Pub owner. No interest, then it won't happen. :002: :002:

Modifications and Appearance / Adding another horn
« on: August 06, 2017, 10:56:30 AM »
    I had read somewhere [in a motorcycle magazine obviously] that the horn on the new Honda Africa Twin was quite loud. Me thinks interesting. So I marched into my local Honda dealer and got the young salesman to get the key for the Africa Twin on the floor. Now Lauchie's a bright lad and thought I wanted to take it for a test ride, sadly no, only want to hear the horn.
     Now my reading was confirmed, it was indeed loud. Didn't have to be very loud to be better than the original on the Trophy. "Order me in one please Lauchie", I say. Well received it on Thursday and promptly put it in the shed on the bench. I'll get around to fitting it soon I think. Well today was soon enough I think.
      Into the shed and remove the two panels above the radiator and the two inside the fairing either side of the radiator. Now I remembered how long it took to fit the exhaust pipes R & D guard when I fitted the crash bars. I wasn't looking forward to going through that routine again. But off it came with its surround.
      Undo horn mounting bolt, leaving it to hang free. Check volume again, terrible. Get new Honda item and attach to the Trophy wires. Sound horn, much louder. Then I think how much better would it be with both working together. Into my spare wires box and out with enough with male and female joiners already on.
      So the end result was, a male into both the existing Trophy female joiners with a double wire out of each of these. So then I had four wires with female joiners coming off the two original Trophy females. One from each then attached to each horn. Result was great, two horns with 105 decibels each. Plenty loud enough now.
       The Honda horn came with a metal bracket, the original had its metal bracket. Now to see if both would fit on the original mounting point. I added a piece of metal the same as the original horn mounting arm to the original horn bracket. By placing one bracket over the other I was able to mount both horns to the original mounting position with the original bolt.
       I had to bend one horn bracket back [towards the engine] a very little bit to clear the inner side of the right fairing. Both horns fitted in the available space behind the R & G Pipe Guard without touching anything.
       Then the fun began to refit all the panels. I might add that the only item that gave me grief was of course the R & G Pipe cover. But after about six or was it eight attempts everything was back in place.
       Now before any of you ask for pictures, I've already broached that subject on a previous post [headlight protector]. So don't ask. If a silly old fool like me can do this simple modification, I'm sure anyone can.
       By the way the Honda Africa Twin horn retails for $44.00AUST. so it's not a huge outlet. And if you don't have the R & G pipe guard on it'll be easy.
       So now you don't have to put up with the lousy original horn. :821: :821:

Pages: [1] 2