Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Potential purchase - 2013 TTSE no engine upgrade. What will dealer do?  (Read 1005 times)

Offline Gargamel

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE, 79 CX500
  • City / Town: Sheboygan
I'm looking at a used 2013 TTSE for sale. All the major recalls and TSBs are done except the head replacement; ECM, gas tank, center stand, etc.
The bike is at a Triumph dealer (not the original). I spoke to someone at Triumph Customer Service. They said they would honor the warranty but "prefer the original owner" to make the claim.
If the bike is good in every way but the head TSB, would a dealer be willing to perform the service before I purchase the bike, as in "I'll but it but I want the TSB done before delivery."

I'm not the best at negotiating with dealers. I hate the process of buying vehicles, new or used. When a dealer performs a TSB like the head replacement, do they eat the costs? Are the refunded by the factory? If they don't want to perform it, does that give me additional bargaining options on price?

I would like to know I'm not buying a time bomb. I know the issue may not blow up an engine but I don't want to flinch at the smallest sound? Is the dealer hoping they can pass off they bike without performing the upgrade?

Note: this can be moved to another section if need be. It's related to the Engine Upgrade TSB and thought it may help if anybody is in my position later.

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
Re: Potential purchase - 2013 TTSE no engine upgrade. What will dealer
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 04:20:27 AM »
Has Triumph confirmed that yours is a candidate by way of the vin number?  Not all 2013's are in the number sequence to be covered in the TSB.  I was told a long time ago that mine isn't, and I haven't had any issues.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 07:45:27 AM »
I would email Triumph about this, and get the details in writing.

What do they mean by "honor the warranty"  ??

The "original" Warranty is 2 years from the date of first registration or sale,
which has long since passed, so the Original warranty no longer applies.

If they are saying they will complete the Cylinder Head "Upgrade" ( It was never classed as a "Recall" ),
then that's great - you don't really need to know whether it is the Dealer or Triumph that will pay for it,
( as long as it's not YOU ), but usually Triumph would supply the parts and an allowance to the Dealer
for the Labor charges.

I know how you feel about speaking to people about such issues,
especially as there is no record of the conversation !

Here's the email address for Triumph Customer Care / After Sales in the US :
tma.aftersales@triumphmotorcycles.com
( In the UK it's after.sales@triumph.co.uk )

I would email them, quoting the VIN Number of the Trophy, and they will be able to check
to confirm whether this "Upgrade" is applicable.
( Technical Service Bulletin 153 refers - for VIN Numbers up to 602960 ).

Explain your interest in buying this Trophy, and quote whatever the previous Triumph representative
told you, asking for them to confirm this, and that there will be no additional cost to you.

Based on their assurances you could then offer put down a Deposit on the bike
to show your commitment, until the work has been completed.

Cheers  :821:

Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

Offline Gargamel

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 02:13:32 AM »
Thanks for the email contact. Sent a message to Triumph last night. No reply from Triumph yet but there's still a little time left if they reply within 24 hours.

Offline Mikestrophy

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 09:19:07 AM »
Personally I would avoid a 2013 model. The bike you are looking at already has major issues which may, or most likely won't, get sorted properly. The dealer will say anything to sell you the bike and Triumph won't give a rats behind. Find a 2017 model. That way you don't have to worry about the engine upgrade, and IMHO there are going to be other minor things that will have been quietly modified in the intervening years eg lengthening of switchgear wiring to avoid issues with the engine cutting out. Remember that the front discs on this bike are a disgrace and will annoy the s**t out of you. Cleaning the bobbins helps but is not perfect. I have a 2017 and it is fantastic and I have had no issues apart from the front brakes. BUT I will not be buying another Triumph because of the brake issue which Triumph cannot get right. My mate has a Gold Wing with 80000 kms on it and has had no issues with front brakes. Good luck with your purchase.........whatever it may be.

Offline freeride4tom

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE
  • City / Town: Justin, TX
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 04:01:55 PM »
I traded for a 2013 with 18K miles and all recalls and TSB's done with record of it on VIN history and dealer records. I honestly wouldn't have purchased otherwise. Mine didn't have side-stand issue. Good luck pursuing help from the dealer. Best bike I've ever owned. :821:
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophy's

Offline Gargamel

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 02:56:52 AM »
2nd rest drive complete. Went through the checklist provided on this site for buying a used TTSE. it was very helpful.
No electrical gremlins. Any major issue was the engine head upgrade. The salesperson didn’t know about it but contacted their Triumph rep. I guess that rep will contact me directly.

Dealer so far has been very accommodating. I requested the bike cold to listen to the engine and they complied. I recorded a sample video. Your thoughts?

Thanks again for the help.

Offline Gargamel

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 03:02:40 AM »
Here’s more video if it helps.